Rumor: Tristan Thompson and Pick for Gallinari

Clippers News Surge Forum/Message Board » Clipper Rumors
Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Search This Topic:
 
Mistwell3
Clipper Starter
Posts: 652
Location: Los Angeles
votes: 15
 

https://www.inquisitr.com/5066152/nba-r ... er-forbes/

The rumor of discussions is Tristan Thompson and a Cavs first round pick for Gallinari.

Thompson is owed $38M over the next two years.


jarca
CNS MVP X3
Posts: 13106

rp.gif
votes: 59

If Balmer wants to tank, this is the trade that will help the caused


clippyclip
Clipper Starter
Posts: 758
votes: 15

I like it - especially that pick considering how awful the Cavs will likely be.


pageC4
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 7475

us.gif
votes: 46

For the pick yes, and we swap out Gallo..he won't play any game anyway


SamMays
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 6113
votes: 97

This is a bizarre proposal that doesn't seem to make much sense.

There is no cap relief for either team, usually what you want when dealing away the big contract of a non productive player. We get a pick, which is nice.

The only way this makes sense is that it's a bet on Gallinari. We are betting that last year's Gallinari, who barely plays, is the Gallinari of the future. Cleveland is betting that Gallinari has two healthy and useful years ahead.


david
Site Admin
Posts: 14166
votes: 53

Hmmmm- Cavs first round pick could be nice depending on if there is any protection. But yeah if the FO makes this move, it likely signals a preference for tanking.


Mistwell3
Clipper Starter
Posts: 652
Location: Los Angeles
votes: 15

I wouldn't see it as a tanking move. Tristan Thompson is a competent backup player. We'd fill Gallos spot with someone productive. I don't see any meaningful drop off in production from such a trade.


cobra
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1695
votes: 9

Gallo barely played last season and we won 42 games.


pageC4
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 7475

us.gif
votes: 46

SamMays wrote:
This is a bizarre proposal that doesn't seem to make much sense.

There is no cap relief for either team, usually what you want when dealing away the big contract of a non productive player. We get a pick, which is nice.

The only way this makes sense is that it's a bet on Gallinari. We are betting that last year's Gallinari, who barely plays, is the Gallinari of the future. Cleveland is betting that Gallinari has two healthy and useful years ahead.

I hope it is true though. As long as it's not protected, that pick would be awesome and yes as David said it would signal a rebuild. I hope we do it.


pageC4
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 7475

us.gif
votes: 46

Mistwell3 wrote:
I wouldn't see it as a tanking move. Tristan Thompson is a competent backup player. We'd fill Gallos spot with someone productive. I don't see any meaningful drop off in production from such a trade.
this would be a nice comparison.How do Thompson and Gallo compare? Is either one a better defender, or are they both the same?


Mistwell3
Clipper Starter
Posts: 652
Location: Los Angeles
votes: 15

Thompson is a better defensive player, while Gallo is a better offensive player. Thompson can play PF or C. Danilo can play SF or PF.


clipperboy24
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 6721
votes: 43

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes ... -camp/amp/

Here is the original article, it’s just pure trade proposal speculation from a Cavs sports writer


LA_Clipper818
Clipper Starter
Posts: 590
votes: 8

Mmmm this is interesting. Idk how I feel about it. Can Tristan be bought out somehow ?


Dirtydunks
Clipper Starter
Posts: 988
votes: 9

LA_Clipper818 wrote:
Mmmm this is interesting. Idk how I feel about it. Can Tristan be bought out somehow ?
I guess you missed the prior post. Just the speculative fantasy of a Cav sportswriter. Not happening.


LA_Clipper818
Clipper Starter
Posts: 590
votes: 8

Dirtydunks wrote:
I guess you missed the prior post. Just the speculative fantasy of a Cav sportswriter. Not happening.

I read the prior post but rumors and trades always start somewhere lol. So my thoughts were assuming it were true. Can there be a buyout? Too expensive? Or not possible ?


sz123456
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3665
votes: 29

No more Kardashian drama, it turns the franchise into a circus


ClipperPostman
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 5987
votes: 48

Would be a headscratcher for Cleveland fans for sure. You give up your first round pick for Danilo the glass galinari?


pageC4
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 7475

us.gif
votes: 46

LA_Clipper818 wrote:
I read the prior post but rumors and trades always start somewhere lol. So my thoughts were assuming it were true. Can there be a buyout? Too expensive? Or not possible ?
both are signed for the same length of time. However, Tristan Thompson makes a few million less a year. If they attached a number 1 draft pick it would be well worth it. We would get a pick and a cheaper contract. I guess this will all just depend what the front office plans to do. If they are rebuilding, then this is the right move.


Mistwell3
Clipper Starter
Posts: 652
Location: Los Angeles
votes: 15

pageC4 wrote:
both are signed for the same length of time. However, Tristan Thompson makes a few million less a year. If they attached a number 1 draft pick it would be well worth it. We would get a pick and a cheaper contract. I guess this will all just depend what the front office plans to do. If they are rebuilding, then this is the right move.

Let me ask you this: If we are not rebuilding, wouldn't this still be the right move?


SamMays
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 6113
votes: 97

Mistwell3 wrote:
Let me ask you this: If we are not rebuilding, wouldn't this still be the right move?

It's an odd move for either team if we/they are rebuilding. If you're rebuilding, it makes no sense to take on another big contract, or go big contract for big contract. Both have two years on them. What is there gained for a rebuilding team?

But Cleveland signed Love to a major deal. It appears they have no interest in rebuilding and instead are spiring toward mediocrity. So, for them, Gallo could make them slightly better than mediocre, if healthy. For us, it's about the pick. So, I guess it makes a modicum of sense.


pageC4
CNS MVP X2
 Avatar
Posts: 7475

us.gif
votes: 46

Mistwell3 wrote:
Let me ask you this: If we are not rebuilding, wouldn't this still be the right move?
if the pick is not on the table? That's a good question. I would only want this trade if a pick is coming back. Both Thompson and Gallinari are signed to the same length. So acquiring rhompson would not hamper our team any more than Gallo is. One poster compared the two and gave Gallinari a nod on offense but Thompson a nod on defense. I don't think eithers strength is that great as to place them above the other. I don't know Thompson's injury history, so I can't comment on him having an edge due to durability. Thompson's per year pay is slightly smaller than Gallinaris.

With the pick it's definitely a good deal for us. We still have our cap space and add a likely lottery pick that can form a nucleus with SGA and JR. Without the pick...i would probably not entertain it


clipperboy24
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 6721
votes: 43

pageC4 wrote:
if the pick is not on the table? That's a good question. I would only want this trade if a pick is coming back. Both Thompson and Gallinari are signed to the same length. So acquiring rhompson would not hamper our team any more than Gallo is. One poster compared the two and gave Gallinari a nod on offense but Thompson a nod on defense. I don't think eithers strength is that great as to place them above the other. I don't know Thompson's injury history, so I can't comment on him having an edge due to durability. Thompson's per year pay is slightly smaller than Gallinaris.

With the pick it's definitely a good deal for us. We still have our cap space and add a likely lottery pick that can form a nucleus with SGA and JR. Without the pick...i would probably not entertain it

It doesn’t matter it’s not a real trade proposal. I could just start a blog and make trade suggestions and those wouldn’t be any less real than this guys hypothetical trade.


Mistwell3
Clipper Starter
Posts: 652
Location: Los Angeles
votes: 15

clipperboy24 wrote:
It doesn’t matter it’s not a real trade proposal. I could just start a blog and make trade suggestions and those wouldn’t be any less real than this guys hypothetical trade.

It's the Summer, there is little news, and it's something to talk about from a fairy major news source. Give it a rest. Nobody is twisting your arm to force you to comment if you don't want to talk about it.


TheDude
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3043

wz.gif
votes: 41

If they want to give us a lottery pick in that deal it's a no brainer. Unfortunately we'd probably even be a better team because TT can stay healthy and actually contribute game to game.

Doubt this will happen. They need to rebuild just like we do. They'd be nuts to burn a 1st on Gallo.


pageC4
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 7475

us.gif
votes: 46

TheDude wrote:
If they want to give us a lottery pick in that deal it's a no brainer. Unfortunately we'd probably even be a better team because TT can stay healthy and actually contribute game to game.

Doubt this will happen. They need to rebuild just like we do. They'd be nuts to burn a 1st on Gallo.

it's hard to say. They resigned Kevin Love so they are somewhat or a mystery as far as their direction


clipperboy24
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 6721
votes: 43

Mistwell3 wrote:
It's the Summer, there is little news, and it's something to talk about from a fairy major news source. Give it a rest. Nobody is twisting your arm to force you to comment if you don't want to talk about it.

Lol, don’t label it as a rumor, it’s not a rumor.


Mistwell3
Clipper Starter
Posts: 652
Location: Los Angeles
votes: 15

clipperboy24 wrote:
Lol, don’t label it as a rumor, it’s not a rumor.

So? If it's so uninteresting to you why are you still commenting about it?


clipperboy24
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 6721
votes: 43

Mistwell3 wrote:
So? If it's so uninteresting to you why are you still commenting about it?

I love offseason rumors as much or more than the next person but at least call it what it is. If someone else had posted this you would probably be ripping them to shreds


Dirtydunks
Clipper Starter
Posts: 988
votes: 9

clipperboy24 wrote:
I love offseason rumors as much or more than the next person but at least call it what it is. If someone else had posted this you would probably be ripping them to shreds
Totally agree. It’s a meaningless thread but discussing as if it were credible gets people excited I guess.


toohipcliptoslip
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 8054
votes: 58

Do you have anything more important to discuss in the off-season? It keeps us from being bored.


pageC4
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 7475

us.gif
votes: 46

clipperboy24 wrote:
I love offseason rumors as much or more than the next person but at least call it what it is. If someone else had posted this you would probably be ripping them to shreds
CB24 love the signature. Barely caught it, but man was it one sweet day


Mistwell3
Clipper Starter
Posts: 652
Location: Los Angeles
votes: 15

clipperboy24 wrote:
I love offseason rumors as much or more than the next person but at least call it what it is. If someone else had posted this you would probably be ripping them to shreds

OK so rip me to shreds. Cut the thread crapping though Smile


JamFan
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2440
votes: 22

I think the Clippers are done with broken players. So Danilo is just a waste of money for them. I would be surprised if another team would give anything for him. So if this were a real offer, you take it. Tristan will make 10 Mil less over the next two years and at least be able to go out on the floor. He had an injury last season but has played 82 games 4 times and 78 on another. The the real value is in the pick. Got to get it if you can.


pageC4
CNS MVP X2
 Avatar
Posts: 7475

us.gif
votes: 46

JamFan wrote:
I think the Clippers are done with broken players. So Danilo is just a waste of money for them. I would be surprised if another team would give anything for him. So if this were a real offer, you take it. Tristan will make 10 Mil less over the next two years and at least be able to go out on the floor. He had an injury last season but has played 82 games 4 times and 78 on another. The the real value is in the pick. Got to get it if you can.
well said. Another lotto pick would be awesome


Options Quick Reply: RE: Rumor: Tristan Thompson and Pick for Gallinari
register
You are an anonymous user- or .
Quote the last message
Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)
Notify me when a reply is posted
Don't Check Spelling
Note: Twitter & Youtube BBCODE Tags are no longer necessary. The system will automatically convert links to tweets & youtube videos.
   
 
Go To the Top of the ThreadGo Home
Post new topic   Reply to topic
register
You are an anonymous user- Register now or Log in Now!


Follow our Clippers Rumors RSS Feed, the LA Clippers News RSS feed, and the Clippers Forum RSS feed to get the newest updated Clippers News and Trade Rumors plus Clippers Game update in your RSS/XML reader!