DeAndre Jordan Opts Out, Will Leave the Clippers (P. 2)

Clippers News Surge Forum/Message Board » Clippers News & General Discussions
Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Search This Topic:
 
CLIPSET
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1166
votes: 6

He actually saved Dallas a 1st rounder and 3 million trade kicker


clipperboy24
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 5637
votes: 41

realbull17 wrote:
DJ gets a 1 yr deal 24mil with Dallas.

H basically screwed us so we didn’t get any assets, lol. Pretty lame but whatever, I think our future is brighter with him gone not clogging up the lane.


pageC4
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 6748

us.gif
votes: 43

Boy I am going to miss those 12 points of his. 🤣


cisco805
Clipper Starter
Posts: 655
votes: 4

pageC4 wrote:
Boy I am going to miss those 12 points of his. 🤣

I’m gonna miss his free throws! 😂😂


cobra
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1422
votes: 7

At least Balmer save 24 mil this year. Time to give more minutes to Bobi and time to tank.


clipperboy24
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 5637
votes: 41

cisco805 wrote:
I’m gonna miss his free throws! 😂😂

Lol yep!


Griffinforpresident
Clipper Starter
Posts: 503
votes: 6

clipperboy24 wrote:
H basically screwed us so we didn’t get any assets, lol. Pretty lame but whatever, I think our future is brighter with him gone not clogging up the lane.

I actually thought he did us a favor even if he meant to or not. We get to free up the salary cap, just a tad, to some players who could run the current NBA system.


Agent0
CNS MVP X3
Posts: 11401
votes: 95

That certainly worked out for DJ, lol, surprised he got the same contract.


clipper*joe
CNS MVP Champion
Posts: 19918
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 150

DJ ended up losing money on this move. I guess he didn't merit more than one year. Rumor had it that we offered him a 1 +1 but he turned it down. So technically, he left for the weaker deal in the end. I thought Cuban would show him more love. Was there no other takers? That was rhetorical...


pageC4
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 6748

us.gif
votes: 43

This showed DJs value. CP and BG each got us a #1 and assets. DJ couldn't even get us two 2nd round picks, ouch!


clipper*joe
CNS MVP Champion
Posts: 19918
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 150

Griffinforpresident wrote:
I actually thought he did us a favor even if he meant to or not. We get to free up the salary cap, just a tad, to some players who could run the current NBA system.

I don't think he did us any favors. I think the Clippers didn't like what they were offering and rather let him go free and clear. I do agree it was better for us in the long run and DJ basically got what he would have had we made the trade. Since we didn't pull the trigger on the trade, the Mavs gave him ONLY what he would have received if the trade was made. They offered nothing more than that which doesn't bode well for DJ. The Mavs still want that cap space open for next season which tells me DJ is just a stopgap until he proves otherwise.


LAC_12
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3937
Location: NY/CA
votes: 31

cisco805 wrote:
I’m gonna miss his free throws! 😂😂

.482 last season and .58 this past season... but, OK.


LAC_12
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3937
Location: NY/CA
votes: 31

Thanks big man for your services. Glad you were one of the FEW draft picks that worked out for the Clippers in our history of existence. Glad you helped us in one of our weakest areas. And wish you well. Hope the fans in Dallas appreciate you more than some of the people in LA.

Nice job getting paid, proving me wrong. Next up a more accurate level of moola over a longer period. I'll keep an eye out for you.


LAC_12
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3937
Location: NY/CA
votes: 31

pageC4 wrote:
This showed DJs value.

yea... $24.1 million.


LAC_12
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3937
Location: NY/CA
votes: 31

clipper*joe wrote:
DJ ended up losing money on this move. I guess he didn't merit more than one year. Rumor had it that we offered him a 1 +1 but he turned it down. So technically, he left for the weaker deal in the end. I thought Cuban would show him more love. Was there no other takers? That was rhetorical...

It shouldn't have been rhetorical considering how Cavs wanted him for their run during the season. And that the Warriors were in pursuit. And yea, anyone could've shown him more love than us... I am not saying we did him wrong, we paid the guy... but we could have maintained a better line of communication. Cuban has done nothing, but shown interest in him and that was more than what the Clippers were giving him.

And I doubt this move was about money. It was about getting out of a place he was no longer wanted. Going back "home" (at least home state.) Oh, and a little mention of lower cost of living and taxes... He's doing just fine.


clipperboy24
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 5637
votes: 41

LAC_12 wrote:
.482 last season and .58 this past season... but, OK.

58% is huge, such a great asset, lol. Thank goodness we don’t have to witness the atrocity of him at the free throw line in a clippers uniform anymore. Also his defense was overrated and after his horrible effort last year, I am glad he is gone.


clipperboy24
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 5637
votes: 41

LAC_12 wrote:
yea... $24.1 million.

Reddico got $23mm for 1-year, did that really mean he was worth close to that?


clipper*joe
CNS MVP Champion
Posts: 19918
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 150

clipperboy24 wrote:
Reddico got $23mm for 1-year, did that really mean he was worth close to that?

DJ got exactly what he would have gotten had we traded him on his current contract. The Mavs were not willing to give him more than that. Not even a 1+1. So what does that mean? The Mavs got an expiring contract to kick the tires for a season to see if they want more than a 1 year loaner. Mavs want that cap space if something better comes along.


cobra
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1422
votes: 7

clipper*joe wrote:
DJ got exactly what he would have gotten had we traded him on his current contract. The Mavs were not willing to give him more than that. Not even a 1+1. So what does that mean? The Mavs got an expiring contract to kick the tires for a season to see if they want more than a 1 year loaner. Mavs want that cap space if something better comes along.

Mavs can trade him comes February to get a pick if they will notice that they are not satisfied on him.


LAC_12
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3937
Location: NY/CA
votes: 31

clipperboy24 wrote:
Reddico got $23mm for 1-year, did that really mean he was worth close to that?

That is literally what it means.


LAC_12
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3937
Location: NY/CA
votes: 31

clipper*joe wrote:
DJ got exactly what he would have gotten had we traded him on his current contract. The Mavs were not willing to give him more than that. Not even a 1+1. So what does that mean? The Mavs got an expiring contract to kick the tires for a season to see if they want more than a 1 year loaner. Mavs want that cap space if something better comes along.

That is smart on their part... win-win.


Keatonsays
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1565

calif.gif
votes: 28

DJ made the best move for himself. Taxes are losers in Tx so 24mil there is worth more than 24mil in Cali.

The Clippers front office was so atrocious with their treatment of DJ, constantly dangling him like a piece of meat. Not trading him at the deadline was foolish. Letting him walk for nothing was retarded on our part but expected.

Hopefully we can at least pickup Hezonja, because the only other name I heard we’re linked to is Anthony Tolliver and Amir Johnson smh.

Don’t get your hopes up about next summer either, the Clippers organization will be blacklisted by star players until we acquire a superstar draft pick again like Blake was for us.

Even then, I don’t think anybody with legit talent would be foolish enough to willingly come to this organization. It is Pathetic.


clipper*joe
CNS MVP Champion
Posts: 19918
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 150

LAC_12 wrote:
It shouldn't have been rhetorical considering how Cavs wanted him for their run during the season. And that the Warriors were in pursuit. And yea, anyone could've shown him more love than us... I am not saying we did him wrong, we paid the guy... but we could have maintained a better line of communication. Cuban has done nothing, but shown interest in him and that was more than what the Clippers were giving him.

And I doubt this move was about money. It was about getting out of a place he was no longer wanted. Going back "home" (at least home state.) Oh, and a little mention of lower cost of living and taxes... He's doing just fine.

The cavs didn't exactly want him considering they didn't make the move, right? They still made the finals, right? No, rumor was that LBJ wanted DJ, not the Cavs. fact is, they went in another direction and it paid off. Furthermore, once again, the only team showing interest was the same team that only showed interest the last time DJ signed with them. he didn't GET a new deal, he basically got what was left of his old contract with the option to cut him loose after one season should they find a better player in FA.


clipper*joe
CNS MVP Champion
Posts: 19918
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 150

deleted


LAC_12
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3937
Location: NY/CA
votes: 31

clipper*joe wrote:
The cavs didn't exactly want him considering they didn't make the move, right? They still made the finals, right? No, rumor was that LBJ wanted DJ, not the Cavs. fact is, they went in another direction and it paid off. Furthermore, once again, the only team showing interest was the same team that only showed interest the last time DJ signed with them. he didn't GET a new deal, he basically got what was left of his old contract with the option to cut him loose after one season should they find a better player in FA.

He got a new deal. His new deal proved he is worth 24.1 million for next year (no it is not a multi year deal.) And I do think he is worth less, as expressed in another thread... but Dallas has been in pursuit, Cavs (or LBJ or whoever has been in pursuit) and most recently GSW were in pursuit.

Hate it all you want, he is a great player. You don't like him, that is fine. We obviously have GREAT differences of opinion in centers in the league that play for the Clippers.


clipper*joe
CNS MVP Champion
Posts: 19918
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 150

LAC_12 wrote:
He got a new deal. His new deal proved he is worth 24.1 million for next year (no it is not a multi year deal.) And I do think he is worth less, as expressed in another thread... but Dallas has been in pursuit, Cavs (or LBJ or whoever has been in pursuit) and most recently GSW were in pursuit.

Hate it all you want, he is a great player. You don't like him, that is fine. We obviously have GREAT differences of opinion in centers in the league that play for the Clippers.

GS was offering the MLE...that's all they had. I guess the warriors felt that was all he's worth? Anyway, you're right, we do have a differences of opinion. All I know if all you can get is a one year contract, out of the whole league, then one has to wonder.


toohipcliptoslip
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 7451
votes: 52

deleted


realbull17
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3441
Location: realbull17
us.gif
votes: 7

When the NBA makes out the schedules. I can see our first 2 games starting off for the season like this. The Lakers want to throw it in our faces that they got LeBron then DJ goes to Dallas. So...

Oct 23 @ Lakers on TNT

Oct 24 Dallas on ESPN


Clemenza
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1176
votes: 16

Keatonsays wrote:
DJ made the best move for himself. Taxes are losers in Tx so 24mil there is worth more than 24mil in Cali.

The Clippers front office was so atrocious with their treatment of DJ, constantly dangling him like a piece of meat. Not trading him at the deadline was foolish. Letting him walk for nothing was retarded on our part but expected.

Hopefully we can at least pickup Hezonja, because the only other name I heard we’re linked to is Anthony Tolliver and Amir Johnson smh.

t

Don’t get your hopes up about next summer either, the Clippers organization will be blacklisted by star players until we acquire a superstar draft pick again like Blake was for us.

Even then, I don’t think anybody with legit talent would be foolish enough to willingly come to this organization. It is Pathetic.

Dude there are literally 20+ other teams in the league in the same boat as us. The Lakers got bailed out with the Bron signing. That was pure Laker luck. They made sh*tty decsions pre Bron and imo they're still making crappy choices now that they've got Bron. We're gonna get right. Patience. We're just filling out our roster. If it isn't Kawhi there's no saviors out there to be had. This season is all bout the rookies, Trez, Lou, and Tobias.

-The biggest market in the country, NY Knicks/Nets, can't get anybody to sign with them. And Miami has not state taxes, great weather, and a monster party scene- crickets.


LuvMeSumMEE
Clipper Starter
Posts: 844

aq.gif
votes: 7

At this point I think you just need a team full of cheap, mid level players that can put the ball in the basket. Hopefully Jerome Robinson and SGA catch on quickly. If so, you have Tobi, Lou, Gallo for 1/4 of a season, and Scott. If they don’t get easy buckets, then they better be real ones on defense and/or hustle guys like: Trezl, Pat Bev, Bradley, Thornwell, and even Wes.

If you don’t specialize in getting buckets easily or stopping people good players.... stay away

In the meantime I hope West is looking to move Gallo. There’s got to someone out there willing to take him for a year knowing that he’ll be easier to trade the following season should things not work out.


toohipcliptoslip
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 7451
votes: 52

Keatonsays wrote:
DJ made the best move for himself. Taxes are losers in Tx so 24mil there is worth more than 24mil in Cali.

The Clippers front office was so atrocious with their treatment of DJ, constantly dangling him like a piece of meat. Not trading him at the deadline was foolish. Letting him walk for nothing was retarded on our part but expected.

Hopefully we can at least pickup Hezonja, because the only other name I heard we’re linked to is Anthony Tolliver and Amir Johnson smh.

Don’t get your hopes up about next summer either, the Clippers organization will be blacklisted by star players until we acquire a superstar draft pick again like Blake was for us.

Even then, I don’t think anybody with legit talent would be foolish enough to willingly come to this organization. It is Pathetic.

Isn't pathetic a bit strong word? What's pathetic about a team with Balmer and Jerry West? Most guys would love to play for them. Isn't blacklisted a strong word? Was DJ's treatment of us a bit much by not giving 100%? We saw what his market value was and we offered that. We dangled Jamal for years. Elgin Baylor and DTS were pathetic.

Superstar and draft pick are mutually exclusive. A draft pick is somebody who hasn't played. He's a gamble not a player. A #1 pick has a 70% chance of being a superstar which means there is a 30% chance he won't. Even a potential superstar-draft pick has to be developed over years to be a superstar or a superstar somehow obtained. A superstar won't come here for a draft pick. BG was an exception. He was supposed to be a once in a generation player so CP came here. The exception proved the rule. BG was not one of the 70%, he was part of the 30%. Tanking is pathetic. We will have to grow our own stars That's why we have Jerry. Not a personal attack meant and not specifically referring to you but as a general rule, pathetic is "woe is me".


clipper*joe
CNS MVP Champion
Posts: 19918
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 150

My feeling aside, DJ gained my respect after reading this:

DeAndre Jordan Hires Dessert Truck to Serve Clippers After Joining Mavericks

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/278 ... -mavericks


jarca
CNS MVP X3
Posts: 11560

rp.gif
votes: 49

clipper*joe wrote:
My feeling aside, DJ gained my respect after reading this:

DeAndre Jordan Hires Dessert Truck to Serve Clippers After Joining Mavericks

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/278 ... -mavericks

DJ finally found the sweet spot to Joe’s heart


clipper*joe
CNS MVP Champion
Posts: 19918
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 150

jarca wrote:
DJ finally found the sweet spot to Joe’s heart

In Dallas he did. Smile


Keatonsays
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1565

calif.gif
votes: 28

toohipcliptoslip wrote:
Isn't pathetic a bit strong word? What's pathetic about a team with Balmer and Jerry West? Most guys would love to play for them. Isn't blacklisted a strong word? Was DJ's treatment of us a bit much by not giving 100%? We saw what his market value was and we offered that. We dangled Jamal for years. Elgin Baylor and DTS were pathetic.

Superstar and draft pick are mutually exclusive. A draft pick is somebody who hasn't played. He's a gamble not a player. A #1 pick has a 70% chance of being a superstar which means there is a 30% chance he won't. Even a potential superstar-draft pick has to be developed over years to be a superstar or a superstar somehow obtained. A superstar won't come here for a draft pick. BG was an exception. He was supposed to be a once in a generation player so CP came here. The exception proved the rule. BG was not one of the 70%, he was part of the 30%. Tanking is pathetic. We will have to grow our own stars That's why we have Jerry. Not a personal attack meant and not specifically referring to you but as a general rule, pathetic is "woe is me".

Losing DJ for a truck full of desserts is pretty pathetic to me, especially when Ballmer and West are making decisions. Even as an overrated defender, he's still an imposing defensive presence by length and reputation alone (arguably best rebounder in the league). His length in the middle along with Shai's length on the perimeter is the combination we've always been missing. We filled one hole and created another.

I think overpaying DJ at $24mil+ on a 1 year deal just to outbid Dallas would've been worth it. We would've been able to trade him along with his bird rights and at least got something in return in a trade. If we kept him, we'd likely be a greater trade destination forKawhi. just an opinion


Mistwell3
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 241
Location: Los Angeles
votes: 6

I don't think DJ would have taken it. He wanted out. He was done.


Dirtydunks
Clipper Starter
Posts: 443
votes: 6

Keatonsays wrote:
Losing DJ for a truck full of desserts is pretty pathetic to me, especially when Ballmer and West are making decisions. Even as an overrated defender, he's still an imposing defensive presence by length and reputation alone (arguably best rebounder in the league). His length in the middle along with Shai's length on the perimeter is the combination we've always been missing. We filled one hole and created another.

I think overpaying DJ at $24mil+ on a 1 year deal just to outbid Dallas would've been worth it. We would've been able to trade him along with his bird rights and at least got something in return in a trade. If we kept him, we'd likely be a greater trade destination forKawhi. just an opinion

It’s really about how much more we would’ve had to pay him. He could’ve opted in with us for 24M but chose Dallas instead. I don’t think we wanted to pay him the 24 let alone an additional few million but I agree it would’ve been nice to move him at the deadline for some assets.


LAC_12
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3937
Location: NY/CA
votes: 31

Mistwell3 wrote:
I don't think DJ would have taken it. He wanted out. He was done.

DJ was done with us - rightfully so, as we have been done with him for some time. Unfortunately for us, because I still believe he would be better than many centers in the league. Not going into any hypotheitcal situations... we drafted well with DJ, DJ blossomed into a sereviceable Center, he was a bright spot on our squad for most of his tenure here. As soon as we started going down the rebuild road, we no longer had a need for a high priced center.


Mistwell3
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 241
Location: Los Angeles
votes: 6

I agree. I find it ironic that DJ FINALLY figured out his free throw shot. He's finally a competent free throw shooter, after allllll these frustrating years....and that's the year we let him go.


A7XDreamTheaterClipps
Clipper All-Star
 Avatar
Posts: 1194
votes: 14

We ha to move on from DJ. I'm really proud of DJ's growth as a player in the last 10 years. He went from a 2nd round no body to all-star center in the league. Sure, we dangled DJ like a piece of meat, but that is NBA business. Every team does that. Sure, we could have signed and traded him, but you're not gonna get much for a one dimensional 30 year old center that is most likely 2 or 3 years away from a major decline. The 1 year contract was smart. All he has to do is play like a top 5 center next year and he'll get one more big payday.... Watch him shoot 70% from the line and create his own shot in the post.


Options Quick Reply: RE: DeAndre Jordan Opts Out, Will Leave the Clippers
register
You are an anonymous user- or .
Quote the last message
Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)
Notify me when a reply is posted
Don't Check Spelling
   
 
Go To the Top of the ThreadGo Home
Post new topic   Reply to topic
register
You are an anonymous user- Register now or Log in Now!


Follow our Clippers Rumors RSS Feed, the LA Clippers News RSS feed, and the Clippers Forum RSS feed to get the newest updated Clippers News and Trade Rumors plus Clippers Game update in your RSS/XML reader!