Rumor: Clippers Interested in Kawhi Leonard? (P. 7)

Clippers News Surge Forum/Message Board » Clipper Rumors
Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Search This Topic:
 
LuvMeSumMEE
Clipper Starter
 Avatar
Posts: 876

aq.gif
votes: 8

This team has no identity. What are these pieces even fitting into? I hope with the next couple moves comes a little more clarity of where this ship is steering. Kawai is a great player, but how do we know he's even a fit? Good player = Good fit? I feel like that's the best way to build talented teams that can't get over the hump


pageC4
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 6963

us.gif
votes: 43

LuvMeSumMEE wrote:
This team has no identity. What are these pieces even fitting into? I hope with the next couple moves comes a little more clarity of where this ship is steering. Kawai is a great player, but how do we know he's even a fit? Good player = Good fit? I feel like that's the best way to build talented teams that can't get over the hump
This is exactly what I think as well. We seem to have a conglomerate of players, young and old. As it stands I don't feel that Bradley, Williams, Gortat, Harris, Gallinari, and Harrell are going to result in a playoff team.


toohipcliptoslip
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 7548
votes: 53

Ballmer is a self made billionaire and Jerry is one of the most successful GM's in history. Mercurial isn't within 15 feet of their dictionary. They are as mercurial as a Venus fly trap. You think it's sweet and pretty but it has a big bite. These guys have a plan laid out with multiple contingencies probably for the next five years. We don't have the data.

Nobody has considered where SAS wants to be in the near future. If we have KL why do we need another starting SF, Tobias?


LAbreakers
Clipper Starter
Posts: 867
votes: 10

Spurs reportedly asking for two players, and.... three first round picks.... absurd.

ps. wouldn't give'm even one first round selection.


ClipperPostman
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 5662
votes: 46

LAbreakers wrote:
Spurs reportedly asking for two players, and.... three first round picks.... absurd.

ps. wouldn't give'm even one first round selection.

Lmaoooo....


pageC4
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 6963

us.gif
votes: 43

LAbreakers wrote:
Spurs reportedly asking for two players, and.... three first round picks.... absurd.

ps. wouldn't give'm even one first round selection.

I would have hung up the phone right after laughing. We need to not even call that organization any more. Let them deal with a disgruntled player.


clipperboy24
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 6015
votes: 42

pageC4 wrote:
I would have hung up the phone right after laughing. We need to not even call that organization any more. Let them deal with a disgruntled player.

It’s be so hilarious if they lost him for nothing. Pop is being way too greedy.


pageC4
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 6963

us.gif
votes: 43

A pair of 1st round picks is stretching it...three is just being ridiculous. I hope they get nothing in return for him


LA_Clipper818
Clipper Starter
Posts: 393
votes: 3

I hope no one trades for Kawhi so the spurs can learn their lesson. If everyone holds out they’ll be forced to trade before the deadline for less


ClipperPostman
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 5662
votes: 46

pageC4 wrote:
A pair of 1st round picks is stretching it...three is just being ridiculous. I hope they get nothing in return for him

Let’s not forget he didn’t play for the entire year last year with an unknown injury. He ain’t LeBron James nor Durant. Spurs smoking that good stuff. Not to mention he is a free agent next year.

Any Gm who makes that trade would be forever in the hall of shame, and would most likely never see another GM job again.


clipper*joe
CNS MVP Champion
Posts: 19958
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 151


Repped High Quality Post

You always start high when negotiations start. What they want and what they will get are too far apart for anyone to bite. What I think is that the Spurs are trying to stall any trade in the hopes of keeping him. Leonard is one of my fav players but at this point, I would not make the trade for even one pick. I want to see this team play but most importantly, I want to see our draft picks play this season.

I would just wait it out and even if Leonard is traded to say, the Raptors, there might be a chance he doesn't stay there. We would just have to wait it out and then come at him with the proposition that we have two max slots and give him input as to who he would like to pair up with. That would mean we keep our new guys on rookie contracts while being able to absorb two max contracts. That is the only way to go right now.


LAC_12
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3977
Location: NYC/LA
votes: 31

clipper*joe wrote:
You always start high when negotiations start. What they want and what they will get are too far apart for anyone to bite. What I think is that the Spurs are trying to stall any trade in the hopes of keeping him. Leonard is one of my fav players but at this point, I would not make the trade for even one pick. I want to see this team play but most importantly, I want to see our draft picks play this season.

I would just wait it out and even if Leonard is traded to say, the Raptors, there might be a chance he doesn't stay there. We would just have to wait it out and then come at him with the proposition that we have two max slots and give him input as to who he would like to pair up with. That would mean we keep our new guys on rookie contracts while being able to absorb two max contracts. That is the only way to go right now.

Yup... its happening. Gimme an R. Gimme an E... Gimme a P.


Dirtydunks
Clipper Starter
Posts: 532
votes: 7

I want Kawhi at a reasonable price. Give them Tobias, Sindarius and two future firsts...something like that.


toohipcliptoslip
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 7548
votes: 53

I think KL will let a team know if he's going to bolt or thinking about it. I felt that the deal was almost done a while back but then signings surprised me.. I'm not saying that I like it because we now have a bunch of 2nd stringers and 3rd stringers. Let's not even mention Draft Picks - guys not yet players. If we're lucky SHOULD get one star. Our solid starter will be Gallo. We have no center, PF or PG. Bradley as an OK SG but 6'2". Could they beat a championship college team? With KL maybe.

West is not this stupid. I think that we will hear a loud flushing sound but who do we have now that's worth the sneakers that they're wearing? (Tobias doesn't count). Especially since we don't have Trezz or Ty. Has he had a QO yet? I could live with Trezz, PF, KL. Ty and Long Name. Pre CBA, this wouldn't have been a big problem. We're stuck with Gallo. Where is the bench? If I were KL, as it is presently constructed I'd avoid this team like a plague. Trezz, Ty and SIA together are our only hope.


Dirtydunks
Clipper Starter
Posts: 532
votes: 7

toohipcliptoslip wrote:
I think KL will let a team know if he's going to bolt or thinking about it. I felt that the deal was almost done a while back but then signings surprised me.. I'm not saying that I like it because we now have a bunch of 2nd stringers and 3rd stringers. Let's not even mention Draft Picks - guys not yet players. If we're lucky SHOULD get one star. Our solid starter will be Gallo. We have no center, PF or PG. Bradley as an OK SG but 6'2". Could they beat a championship college team? With KL maybe.

West is not this stupid. I think that we will hear a loud flushing sound but who do we have now that's worth the sneakers that they're wearing? (Tobias doesn't count). Especially since we don't have Trezz or Ty. Has he had a QO yet? I could live with Trezz, PF, KL. Ty and Long Name. Pre CBA, this wouldn't have been a big problem. We're stuck with Gallo. Where is the bench? If I were KL, as it is presently constructed I'd avoid this team like a plague. Trezz, Ty and SIA together are our only hope.

We are loaded from a bench perspective. We’ve got Sweet Lou, Milos, the rooks, Luc, Trez, Scott, Boban, Dekker, Johnson, etc. Apparently according to Chris Carter ( First Things First) West has made it known to Kawhi’s camp that he is trying to “move mountains” to make it happen. Carter also said that Kawhi is not interested in a one year rental and will not play in Toronto. With our signings. SA scouting our summer league and Kawhi wanting to come here, all signals are pointing in our direction.


toohipcliptoslip
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 7548
votes: 53

El problema: We don't have Trezz to our mutual chagrin. Sam Dekker missed almost every shot to the point that he didn't take any. He's worthless. We know Wesley will still be Wesley. Milos is a year older and a defensive sieve. Boban is a bit of an oddity but OK for the bench but not against skinny centers who shoot threes. Luc is OK but without a good PG, he has no offense. I don't like Rooks but a couple might be OK to develop. maybe in the G League. Again, the stats of a player below #10 being helpful ain't that good. I love Lou. Out of the bunch we have Lou, Luc and Milos. The rest resemble NBA players sorta. This team would be great if they learned to say "pass me the dim sum" Except for Lou, there is not one player that I'd WANT to play with. I think there is a better chance he comes here rather that anywhere else. It all depends on where HE wants to go.


LAbreakers
Clipper Starter
Posts: 867
votes: 10

have mentioned it before, and.... a trade of Tobias, Gortat, Avery and Dekker fits SA like a glove.

they need bodies for their roster.... all we need to do is keep the draft picks out of the equation.

they don't have a traditional center.... Gortat.

Tobias spells Kawhi, w/Dekker to spell Kyle Anderson, and....

Avery spells Manu for them, and.... Spurs were rumored to be after Bradley right after he was traded to the Clipps.


LA_Clipper818
Clipper Starter
Posts: 393
votes: 3

Maybe west already plans to clean out the roster for Kawhi and then sign Trez and Ty. Mhmmmm.... just a thought


toohipcliptoslip
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 7548
votes: 53

LAbreakers wrote:
have mentioned it before, and.... a trade of Tobias, Gortat, Avery and Dekker fits SA like a glove.

they need bodies for their roster.... all we need to do is keep the draft picks out of the equation.

they don't have a traditional center.... Gortat.

Tobias spells Kawhi, w/Dekker to spell Kyle Anderson, and....

Avery spells Manu for them, and.... Spurs were rumored to be after Bradley right after he was traded to the Clipps.

Avery pushes Manu's wheel chair.


clippyclip
Clipper Starter
Posts: 688
votes: 12

Now that Kawhi is going to the Raps, I suspect we'll finally see some movement to thin our guard herd.


pageC4
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 6963

us.gif
votes: 43

Good. We get to keep our rookies


clippyclip
Clipper Starter
Posts: 688
votes: 12

And I wouldn't bet against us signing him next summer.


bballman
Clipper Starter
Posts: 930
votes: 8

The Kawhu deal is a horrible deal for both teams. Raptors give up their best player for a rental. Spurs didn't really get much compared to what the Lakers or Clipppers reportedly offered. The pick most likely will be a late 1st. Clippers reported offered both of their picks this year and Tobis Harris. Lakers reportedly offered Kuzma and Josh Hart. Bad move by both teams.


ClipperFaithful
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 171
votes: 1

Cowherd is talking about how the Raptors possibly traded to get rid of Derozan's contract, and get a bidding war on between the Lakers and Clips.

Interesting take on it.


Griffinforpresident
Clipper Starter
Posts: 522
votes: 7

ClipperFaithful wrote:
Cowherd is talking about how the Raptors possibly traded to get rid of Derozan's contract, and get a bidding war on between the Lakers and Clips.

Interesting take on it.

Heard that too.

Perhaps the trade package would be lower.


laboy
Clipper Starter
Posts: 894
votes: 10

What's Toronto's price for Leonard?

How about Harris, Beverly, Bobo and Sindarius??

I think its clipper's versus the Lakers on who gets him.

We will see.


realbull17
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3532
Location: realbull17
us.gif
votes: 8

It's all over! 😉


ClipperPostman
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 5662
votes: 46

Bad trade for Toronto future wise, but good for the season. Kawhi def isn’t resigning to Canada, but you get a far better player in Kawhi for deroZen


cobra
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1482
votes: 9

I heard that Raptors can still trade Leonard before the trade deadline, who knows Raptors will flip him to another team, they already get rid the Derozan's contract, and Kawhi already stated that he wants to "go home" to LA. Lakers might give up Kuzma and ingram without 3 first round pick. We don't know what is Jerry in mind. we don't know what is his magic wand can do. now it's a waiting game,again.


Agent0
CNS MVP X3
Posts: 11641
votes: 98

ClipperPostman wrote:
Bad trade for Toronto future wise, but good for the season. Kawhi def isn’t resigning to Canada, but you get a far better player in Kawhi for deroZen
They get rid of Derozan's contract, he's not bad, but he's not a playoff performer. The pick is top 20 protected, becomes two 2nd round picks the next year, so they gave up Poetl for a gamble at Kawhi. Don't think it really does anything to their future.


ClipperPostman
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 5662
votes: 46

Agent0 wrote:
They get rid of Derozan's contract, he's not bad, but he's not a playoff performer. The pick is top 20 protected, becomes two 2nd round picks the next year, so they gave up Poetl for a gamble at Kawhi. Don't think it really does anything to their future.

Well many analyts are saying what I’m saying. Even though deroZen isn’t a great player they aren’t getting anyone better to sign there.

After this season they will fall out of playoff contention. With Lebron gone the east was up for grabs especially the next few years.

Kawhi definitely leaves this summer and they are back to square one.


CLIPSET
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1193
votes: 6

Bidding war between Clippers and Lakers for Kawhi at the deadline


Clippersfan86
CNS MVP Champion
Posts: 17396
votes: 98

Thank God we didn't trade the farm for Kawhi. Grab him next summer IF he can prove he's even physically or mentally right.


cisco805
Clipper Starter
Posts: 719
votes: 4

What if he decides to say he is not 100% and sits out half or even all season?? Even if the lakers give Leonard a better offer LeBron is there so Leonard would be second to LeBron. If he comes to the Clips he will be the poster child of the franchise. As long as we soround him with good players it will be an attractive situation. Not only that if we do build a new stadium for the clips that would also influence his decision IMO. I think we have a better chance than the lakers next year.


Agent0
CNS MVP X3
Posts: 11641
votes: 98

ClipperPostman wrote:
Well many analyts are saying what I’m saying. Even though deroZen isn’t a great player they aren’t getting anyone better to sign there.

After this season they will fall out of playoff contention. With Lebron gone the east was up for grabs especially the next few years.

Kawhi definitely leaves this summer and they are back to square one.

I think they realized they aren't going anywhere with Derozan as a top guy. They take the chance on convincing Kawhi to stay, and if it fails, it's a good start on a rebuild around their young guys. They can move Lowry who only has one more season left after next year, and they can also play with the market on trading Kawhi by the deadline if they are 100% convinced he's not staying.

Their future looks quite good, I think the analysts aren't fully examining the plan they have here and thinking in terms of them having to contend again the next season if (when) he leaves


ClipperPostman
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 5662
votes: 46

Agent0 wrote:
I think they realized they aren't going anywhere with Derozan as a top guy. They take the chance on convincing Kawhi to stay, and if it fails, it's a good start on a rebuild around their young guys. They can move Lowry who only has one more season left after next year, and they can also play with the market on trading Kawhi by the deadline if they are 100% convinced he's not staying.

Their future looks quite good, I think the analysts aren't fully examining the plan they have here and thinking in terms of them having to contend again the next season if (when) he leaves

They’ve gone to the conference finals with DeroZen as a top guy. I guess that’s nowhere in your terms. With Lebron out the east and a little retooling a championship appearance was definitely possible and probable.


ClipperFaithful
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 171
votes: 1

ClipperPostman wrote:
They’ve gone to the conference finals with DeroZen as a top guy. I guess that’s nowhere in your terms. With Lebron out the east and a little retooling a championship appearance was definitely possible and probable.

He was also benched during the playoffs in the 4th quarter.


Dirtydunks
Clipper Starter
Posts: 532
votes: 7

cobra wrote:
I heard that Raptors can still trade Leonard before the trade deadline, who knows Raptors will flip him to another team, they already get rid the Derozan's contract, and Kawhi already stated that he wants to "go home" to LA. Lakers might give up Kuzma and ingram without 3 first round pick. We don't know what is Jerry in mind. we don't know what is his magic wand can do. now it's a waiting game,again.
Lakers cannot execute a trade without dumping Deng on them. Lakers have no shot at trade.


Agent0
CNS MVP X3
Posts: 11641
votes: 98

ClipperPostman wrote:
They’ve gone to the conference finals with DeroZen as a top guy. I guess that’s nowhere in your terms. With Lebron out the east and a little retooling a championship appearance was definitely possible and probable.
Has nothing to do with me, this is how the Raptors see it, they want to win it all. If their goal is just some conference finals appearances or even a finals appearance, sure, but it isn't, Masai wants to win the championship. They are looking at teams like Boston and Philly and saying sure, LeBron is gone, but the void is quickly being filled by those teams and they are looking at the fact that if they did make the finals they would still need to beat GS. They didn't think Derozan as a mediocre playoff performer could get them there.

I'm not saying anyone must agree with their decision, but it in no way jeopardizes their future. If Kawhi leaves, that pick is certainly going to be in the top 20 in 2020, so they lose no first round picks, then they try to trade Lowry for other assets and they have young guys to develop and build around.

I think about it like this in a one-year scenario who is better for winning a championship, healthy Kawhi or Derozan? Kawhi of course, and every year that passes Philly and Boston are likely to become stronger teams in comparison to the current Raptors (with Derozan) because they have guys with much higher potential. So if you're saying, well our best chance to get to the finals is probably next year, but we also don't have a team that can beat GS, and we're still not necessarily the favourite to come out of the East, why not take the chance of even a one year rental of Kawhi? It cost you Derozan, but he is not a superstar and it can make you both the favourite to come out of the East and give you a better chance vs GS.


ClipperDodger1214
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2240
votes: 9

CLIPSET wrote:
Bidding war between Clippers and Lakers for Kawhi at the deadline

No there isn't. Both teams have a chance to add him next year without giving up anything other than money. Clips aren't competing this year anyway so they should hold on to their assets and develop their core. Then you add Kawhi who would be the centerpiece of the team. Lakers would definitely be foolish to try and trade for Kawhi. You know the Raptors are going to want either Kuzma and Ingram, or maybe even both. There's no reason for either LA team to try and force a square peg in a round hole.


SamMays
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 5929
votes: 94

This could not have gone better. Toronto paid way too much for a player who doesn't want to be there and will likely leave at the end of the season.

We could not have competed with that offer. And now, we will be the team in his hometown with a lot of money next summer. There is a good chance we get him while keeping ALL the assets we might have had to trade to get him.


kdawg
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 140

us.gif
votes: 1

Now what do we do with enough guards to form a small army?

Since most every team full, will not get fulll value for players


laboy
Clipper Starter
Posts: 894
votes: 10

K Leonard will probably sit out the season and not go to Canada!!!!!!!

Hi probably will be traded before the start of the season to the Clippers or to Mr James team.


toohipcliptoslip
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 7548
votes: 53

If we can dump some guards and get serviceable young players who are hungry, this season could be more fun than a gutted team with KL.

https://www.google.com/search?q=darius+ ... 1954286928

https://www.google.com/search?q=darius+ ... 1954286928


Mistwell3
Clipper Starter
Posts: 310
Location: Los Angeles
votes: 9

This is interesting. Bottom line: Toronto could plan to flip KL to the Clippers or Lakers for expiring contracts plus young players and/or picks, after the 60 day deadline. They may not care if KL plans to sit with them, because the plan might have been a salary dump of DeRozan to begin with as the start of a rebuild.


Snafu
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1024
Location: Los Angeles
votes: 7

Makes sense for Toronto to do this. I'd still like to see Kawhi play to before any trade. If healthy I'd trade any players except our rookies. I really want to see how our rookies pan out.

Should Adam Silver be concerned? Last year PG forced his way out of Indiana before he was a free agent. This year Kawhi is doing it. This could be the start of a trend.


Agent0
CNS MVP X3
Posts: 11641
votes: 98

Snafu wrote:
Makes sense for Toronto to do this. I'd still like to see Kawhi play to before any trade. If healthy I'd trade any players except our rookies. I really want to see how our rookies pan out.

Should Adam Silver be concerned? Last year PG forced his way out of Indiana before he was a free agent. This year Kawhi is doing it. This could be the start of a trend.

It's how we got Chris Paul. Carmelo Anthony to the Knicks. KG didn't want to demand a trade, but it was known he wanted out of Minnesota. Vince Carter to the Raptors, McGrady to the Rockets, Dwight Howard to the Lakers, Baron Davis demanded a trade from Charlotte IIRC, you can even go as far back as Hakeem who wasn't traded, and Kareem to the Lakers, etc, etc. This has been happening forever, player says he wants out and/or won't resign, so team has to make a decision. What's Silver to do, make players unable to declare an intent to leave? That's actually worse for the team because they get nothing.


CLIPSET
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1193
votes: 6

ClipperDodger1214 wrote:
No there isn't. Both teams have a chance to add him next year without giving up anything other than money. Clips aren't competing this year anyway so they should hold on to their assets and develop their core. Then you add Kawhi who would be the centerpiece of the team. Lakers would definitely be foolish to try and trade for Kawhi. You know the Raptors are going to want either Kuzma and Ingram, or maybe even both. There's no reason for either LA team to try and force a square peg in a round hole.

There’s more flexibility trading him than signing him into cap space. If you trade for him, I’m sure you’ll get a guarantee that he’s signing long term. You may even send some smaller contracts out. I can see how it makes sense for the Lakers to be patient since Ingram, Kuzma, Hart, Lonzo all have a ton of upside but, what are you afraid to trade away? Shai and Tobias? For Kawhi? Yeah, I’ll take Kawhi all day, every day.


Mistwell3
Clipper Starter
Posts: 310
Location: Los Angeles
votes: 9

Raptors want SGA bad. He's from Toronto, his family is still there, and they've been looking for a potential start who actually wants to live in Toronto. They won't likely demand Harris as he's an expiring and as good as any other expiring for their rebuild. They'd probably be fine with Gortat and Milos (both expiring), SGA, and a future protected pick.

And I genuinely think we have a shot at it. Raptors want SGA bad. More I think that any Lakers younger piece, due to the fear they'd bolt at the end of their rookie deal.


clipperboy24
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 6015
votes: 42

Mistwell3 wrote:
Raptors want SGA bad. He's from Toronto, his family is still there, and they've been looking for a potential start who actually wants to live in Toronto. They won't likely demand Harris as he's an expiring and as good as any other expiring for their rebuild. They'd probably be fine with Gortat and Milos (both expiring), SGA, and a future protected pick.

And I genuinely think we have a shot at it. Raptors want SGA bad. More I think that any Lakers younger piece, due to the fear they'd bolt at the end of their rookie deal.

As much as I’d love Kawhi, I don’t think we should trade away Shai. He looks like a franchise cornerstone and a very unique PG


Options Quick Reply: RE: Rumor: Clippers Interested in Kawhi Leonard?
register
You are an anonymous user- or .
Quote the last message
Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)
Notify me when a reply is posted
Don't Check Spelling
Note: Twitter & Youtube BBCODE Tags are no longer necessary. The system will automatically convert links to tweets & youtube videos.
   
 
Go To the Top of the ThreadGo Home
Post new topic   Reply to topic
register
You are an anonymous user- Register now or Log in Now!


Follow our Clippers Rumors RSS Feed, the LA Clippers News RSS feed, and the Clippers Forum RSS feed to get the newest updated Clippers News and Trade Rumors plus Clippers Game update in your RSS/XML reader!