Conversation on Doc Rivers

Clippers News Surge Forum/Message Board » Clippers News & General Discussions
Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Search This Topic:
 
LAC_12
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3776
Location: NY/CA
votes: 28
 

ESPN just published a piece on Doc Rivers: "The Pride of a Shipwrecked Captain"

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2309 ... break-them

What do we think of Doc Rivers as a coach, as an exec, as a total package? What is his future with the organization?


ClipperFaithful
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 149
votes: 1

I think he needs to go. Like, yesterday. Thidbodeau ran the defense when he was in Boston, and I think Doc takes the credit.

I like Fizdale or Van Gundy as a replacement.

As for an executive- he set us back about 5 years with the development and trading of draft picks.


LAC_12
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3776
Location: NY/CA
votes: 28
There was an NBA TV clip that was great about this as well http://www.nba.com/video/2018/04/07/20180407-gametime-clippers-future? collection=video/gametime Caron made a bit of a diss to Rivers... "The only constant (on roster) possibly being Austin" The last point is... The Clippers can go out and try to find a replacement for Doc, but don't count on the replacement being better than Doc Rivers. The article is rather negative on Rivers, but rather objective. A good quote is: "AS DOC RIVERS concludes his fifth season tonight with the Clippers, it's possible that popular perception of Rivers has gotten it all wrong all these years: Doc Rivers might not, in fact,....


LAC_12
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3776
Location: NY/CA
votes: 28
Also... Bleacher Report gave us a B- on the season and wrote: "Finishing above .500 and on the Western Conference's postseason peripherals is quite the accomplishment for the Clippers. It verges on a miracle under the circumstances. No team battled through more total roster turnover between last season and now than the Clippers. Wesley Johnson, DeAndre Jordan and Austin Rivers are the sole remaining members from the 2016-17 squad. And the Clippers of today aren't a billboard for good health. They've burned through 36 starting lineups and don't have a single five-man unit that eclipsed 175 minutes of total action. Some of this shuffling is by design - even welcomed. The Clippers did well to get out from under Blake Griffin's contract. Their bottom line is leaner, and they could have boatloads of cap space in 2019. With Griffin, though, they were committing to something: a treadmill of mediocrity, at best, but a direction all the same. They don't have that now. Signing 31-year-old Lou Williams to a three-year, $24 million extension doesn't offer any real insight into their plans. The final season of that deal is non-guaranteed. He can be moved in a heartbeat when his restriction lifts in early August. Running it back will be tempting largely because of him. He's putting a bow on the best season of his career. James Harden, Kyrie Irving, LeBron James and Damian Lillard are the only players matching his usage, assist rate and true shooting percentage. But the Clippers have to ask themselves: What's the cap on a team with Lou Williams as its best player? Is it worth re-signing a soon-to-be 30-year-old Jordan, provided he declines his player option for next season? How about Avery Bradley? And if they re-sign one or both of them, are they obligated to shell out big-time....


realbull17
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3176
Location: realbull17
us.gif
votes: 7

Eric Pincus said that Doc Rivers & LAC will have a divorce very soon. Smile


Shaa-Maan
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1365

lo.gif
votes: 12

Rivers has done a remarkable job coaching this year (and this is coming from someone who was calling for his head since the Houston debacle), but i think it's best if he's replaced by someone new. Preferably someone completely new that the rest of the league has not figured out yet. Everybody knows Docs style and his favorite plays. Let's take a chance on a young up and coming coach with a more modern approach.

Overall i think he's still a good coach (if a little too traditional for modern NBA), but giving him ultimate power in building a team is like sending your up and coming team to a gas chamber.


cobra
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1357
votes: 6

Doc is a good coach, same as other fired NBA coach, (they can't be in the NBA if they are not good). But his good is not enough and it's been 5 years. When Doc assume the HC position here we are better than Warriors, Utah, Raptors and Rockets, Those team improve every single year and we are sinking every year. So I don't see us moving up next year if Ballmer will retain Doc Rivers.


clipper*joe
CNS MVP Champion
 Avatar
Posts: 19715
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 148
All I have to say is that everything I've been saying ( a lot of conjecture at the time), has become fact. Arnovitz has basically laid out what I've been saying for years. The team was affected by bringing in his son. Players questioned the minutes Austin was getting. Doc promised players things and never delivered. Doc is and has always been a bullshyter. Some believed Doc should have never put the Clippers in the situation to begin with. Oh, and I guess CP3 did partly leave because of Doc. Once people see through the thin veil. people tune....


realbull17
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3176
Location: realbull17
us.gif
votes: 7

Chris Paul told Steve Ballmer the main reason why he left was Doc Rivers. 😢


ClipperFaithful
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 149
votes: 1

realbull17 wrote:
Chris Paul told Steve Ballmer the main reason why he left was Doc Rivers. 😢

I saw that. I find it funny because he's also the reason we have Doc. He was going to sign with Houston years ago unless Sterling hired him.


cobra
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1357
votes: 6

ClipperFaithful wrote:
I saw that. I find it funny because he's also the reason we have Doc. He was going to sign with Houston years ago unless Sterling hired him.

I remember that but the situation change when Doc bring Austin in. As you can see Reddick and Cp don’t come to shake hand with Austin or Doc every time they played each other.


clipperboy24
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 5306
votes: 40

Man that was a great article!

Doc needs to go, as others said above his good is not good enough. He’s obviously an NBA caliber coach but this team needs to go in a new direction. Fresh blood, get rid of the rivers, maybe by some miracle we can sign Paul George and then draft some good players to go with him


LAC_12
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3776
Location: NY/CA
votes: 28
clipper*joe wrote:
All I have to say is that everything I've been saying ( a lot of conjecture at the time), has become fact. Arnovitz has basically laid out what I've been saying for years. The team was affected by bringing in his son. Players questioned the minutes Austin was getting. Doc promised players things and never delivered. Doc is and has always been a bullshyter. Some believed Doc should have never put the Clippers in the situation to begin with. Oh, and I guess CP3 did partly leave because of Doc. Once people see through the thin veil. people tune....


SamMays
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 5473
votes: 89

I think Doc will be gone next year. I suspect Austin will be too. He will opt out and go elsewhere.

I just don't think it's in the cards that we lose one and keep the other. 90% they are both gone. 9% they are both back. 1% everything I've said in this post is nonsense.


Dirtydunks
Clipper Starter
Posts: 308
votes: 5

Offer Bowtie Bowen the HC job and bring Mike Smith back to the booth.


Snafu
Clipper Starter
Posts: 949
Location: Los Angeles
votes: 5

Knicks fired Hornacek. I wonder if Doc would pursue that job?


cobra
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1357
votes: 6

SamMays wrote:
I think Doc will be gone next year. I suspect Austin will be too. He will opt out and go elsewhere.

I just don't think it's in the cards that we lose one and keep the other. 90% they are both gone. 9% they are both back. 1% everything I've said in this post is nonsense.

Austin will not opt out if Doc still here, he already self declared himself as a " leader" of this team during the TNT interview. I think Doc has a big plan for Austin here in Clippers and I hope it won't happen. I never heard anybody interested on Austin.


SamMays
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 5473
votes: 89

Doc will be out and Austin will follow. I’ve rated it at 90%. It’s done.


toohipcliptoslip
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 7201
votes: 51

Austin IS the leader of this team (and it's a bad thing.) He's the senior member except DJ and DJ ain't it. I've constantly said to cut Austin some slack. Until you see him perform in a REAL situation, not this Mexican soap opera we will never know who he is.

As much as I hate it, the game has changed. The young guys are long knuckle draggers who can shoot. There has been a generational shift in body type and we need a generational shift in philosophy. I've always compared the Old Celtics with GSW with a caveat, MJ's generation was 2" taller on average with better training methods which would result in 10# more muscle. Oscar would be 6' 7" or 8. Russell would be 7" and Wilt would be 7'4". Add an inch to his vertical jump. Bench maybe 520#. Things have changed again. Big men aren't lumbering oxen. Dirk was unusual, now his type of game is not unusual at all and these kids can go to the rack. PG's are all important (weird, Doc was a PG). His generation has passed.


clipper*joe
CNS MVP Champion
Posts: 19715
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 148

FML!


clipperboy24
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 5306
votes: 40

clipper*joe wrote:
FML!

I really pray this isn't true. I feel like a lot of fans are going to be jumping ship if we keep the rivers family here


cobra
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1357
votes: 6

I hate the Lakers but I hate the Rivers more so I will start watching the Warriors. I think Ballmer doesn’t want to pay Doc Rivers 10 million without getting something. So we will see the father and son again next season with Austin as the “LEADER”.


Clemenza
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1046
votes: 15

I'm sure Doc will be here next season. They'll have to fire him cause he's not stepping away from $10 million


cobra
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1357
votes: 6

Clemenza wrote:
I'm sure Doc will be here next season. They'll have to fire him cause he's not stepping away from $10 million

$10 million is too big for Doc to walk away, I hope the Knicks will send us a first round for Doc lol!


realbull17
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3176
Location: realbull17
us.gif
votes: 7

SamMays wrote:
Doc will be out and Austin will follow. I’ve rated it at 90%. It’s done.
Your Right! I've spoken to several sport writers they all gave me the same answer "Gone" on Doc Rivers. I didn't ask them about Austin. It's probably the answer too. Lol. 😄


SamMays
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 5473
votes: 89

I will be fine with Doc coming back, provided Austin opts out and goes.

And I think West and company get it. If Austin opts in, I think he's traded.

If I am wrong and both Austin and Doc come back next year, I will give credit to West and the front office for knowing something we don't. That the nepotism many of us rail against, isn't the destructive force on the team many of us believe it to be.


Snafu
Clipper Starter
Posts: 949
Location: Los Angeles
votes: 5

From the Sterling/Baylor days of futility to the now Ballmer/Rivers version. Doc has a spell over Ballmer. Doc is allergic to developing players. If you heard Frank last night you could see that the Clippers would be willing to package the lotto picks. Instead of taking two bites at the apple, I think Doc would rather deal with one additional youngster on the team or simply trade the picks for an established star(if he could find one). The Gallo signing shows us that Doc and friends can still screw-up this off-season despite West being on board. As we stand, we will have to put up with another year of Doc's no system system.


Clemenza
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1046
votes: 15

Snafu wrote:
From the Sterling/Baylor days of futility to the now Ballmer/Rivers version. Doc has a spell over Ballmer. Doc is allergic to developing players. If you heard Frank last night you could see that the Clippers would be willing to package the lotto picks. Instead of taking two bites at the apple, I think Doc would rather deal with one additional youngster on the team or simply trade the picks for an established star(if he could find one). The Gallo signing shows us that Doc and friends can still screw-up this off-season despite West being on board. As we stand, we will have to put up with another year of Doc's no system system.

I cringed when I heard this as well but I don't think West will allow another Gallo signing. I've also wondered about the Ballmer/Rivers relationship and I've said numerous times that I think that Ballmer was on the verge of letting Doc go but once Doc starts talking fast- Ballmer starts shedding tears and we're right back where we started all over again.


clipperboy24
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 5306
votes: 40

Clemenza wrote:
I cringed when I heard this as well but I don't think West will allow another Gallo signing. I've also wondered about the Ballmer/Rivers relationship and I've said numerous times that I think that Ballmer was on the verge of letting Doc go but once Doc starts talking fast- Ballmer starts shedding tears and we're right back where we started all over again.

That’s he problem he’s the ultimate salesperson and seems to find a scapegoat for everything. Please Ballmer, wash clean of the Rivers!


ClipperDodger1214
Clipper All-Star
Age: 30
Posts: 2227
votes: 8

I've been hearing a lot of talk about how Doc should be given credit for keeping this team as competitive as possible through all the injuries and changes that took place on this team. In a sense, yes, he does deserve credit for keeping team afloat during adversity.

However, when you do that, you also excuse his shortcomings from the 4 plus years he had CP3, Blake, and DJ. Fact is, he was brought in to take the next step. Other than helping them get through the Sterling debacle, he's failed miserably. Along with his terrible moves as GM, his use of the roster and biased towards players like his son, he's shown that he's too stubborn to lead this team going forward. His refusal to develop young players is a telling sign that he shouldn't be leading this team. I'm not saying young players like Reggie Bullock or Brice Johnson would be All Stars if they were playing, but the fact he wouldn't even play and allow them to grow is extremely disturbing.

I really don't know why this is even a conversation. Yes he did some good here, but he's worn out his welcome. Doc has to go, plain and simple.


bballman
Clipper Starter
Posts: 832
votes: 7

Snafu wrote:
From the Sterling/Baylor days of futility to the now Ballmer/Rivers version. Doc has a spell over Ballmer. Doc is allergic to developing players. If you heard Frank last night you could see that the Clippers would be willing to package the lotto picks. Instead of taking two bites at the apple, I think Doc would rather deal with one additional youngster on the team or simply trade the picks for an established star(if he could find one). The Gallo signing shows us that Doc and friends can still screw-up this off-season despite West being on board. As we stand, we will have to put up with another year of Doc's no system system.
What if it was the picks and Gallo for Kawhi? You wouldn't do that? You always keep an open mind on everything.


Snafu
Clipper Starter
Posts: 949
Location: Los Angeles
votes: 5

bballman wrote:
What if it was the picks and Gallo for Kawhi? You wouldn't do that? You always keep an open mind on everything.

Before this year I may have been open to it but with all the secrecy surrounding Kawhi not so much. I'd hate to see Leonard turn into Derrick Rose 2.0. Teams will need to seek 2nd and 3rd medical opinions on Kawhi. Heck i'm not sure Kawhi is all there mentally right now.


LA_Clipper818
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 230
votes: 1

One Rivers has to go.


ClipperPostman
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 5347
votes: 44

Reports coming in Doc rivers is coming back next year.


sz123456
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3364
votes: 24

Still think we should change the name of the team to the Los Angeles Rivers, got such a nice ring to it.

At this point, Doc is like a player -- If you don't trade him, you'll get nothing for him. Don't fire him! He has value in this league. Call New York, get a future 1st rounder in the process


cleepers
CNS MVP X3
Posts: 10994

us.gif
votes: 153

I think Doc is a skilled enough coach, but divorce would be best for the kids. This is a big test for Ballmer. Retaining Doc is the easy choice. Championship ring... great politician... but I think he has a real opportunity with how fans are reacting to the new, grittier, blue-collar Clippers.

Doc's coaching ability really isn't the question here. It's whether our identity is going to be torn down to the studs and rebuilt... or if we're still going to have the same BS-ing, complaining, politicking reputation that we had with Doc, CP and Blake.

From many stories that have come out, and from my own intuition, I believe Doc is self-dealing and often dishonest. I think we have the foundation of a really good team, and my vote is for a clean slate with the coaching staff, too.


clipfan63
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 2930
votes: 10

ClipperPostman wrote:
Reports coming in Doc rivers is coming back next year.
Not surprising, think he still has one year left on his contract. And since there's no standout replacement immediately available they figure they let him finish out the contract see how he does, and in the meantime they scout around for a truly better replacement. Think there's more focus on the roster right now where we have serious deficiencies. Would be really surprised if Doc goes anywhere until his contract is up.


clipper*joe
CNS MVP Champion
Posts: 19715
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 148

clipfan63 wrote:
Not surprising, think he still has one year left on his contract. And since there's no standout replacement immediately available they figure they let him finish out the contract see how he does, and in the meantime they scout around for a truly better replacement. Think there's more focus on the roster right now where we have serious deficiencies. Would be really surprised if Doc goes anywhere until his contract is up.

There doesn't need to be a "better" replacement, there just needs to be a replacement. If Doc isn't going to be the coach to lead the new team forward, he has no business being here next season. All you have to do is look at what the Celtics did when they replaced...DOC! We're almost in the same situation. We lost our big three. We have picks, we have youth. Did the Celtics look for a "better' replacement when they passed off Doc to us? Nope. They went with a college coach with no NBA experience. How's that working out? The FO office has to have a vision on where they want to go and how to go about it. They need to find a coach who can make that come to fruition. Letting Doc coach out his contract just to keep from losing money is a DTS move. I hope these rumors are not true. We need a clean slate.


clipperboy24
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 5306
votes: 40

We really can’t have a lame duck situation, it’s not good for free agents or for current players. Let’s move on from Doc and call it a day Smile


jarca
CNS MVP X3
Posts: 11397

rp.gif
votes: 47

In West we trust right? looks like he made a decision to keep Doc LOL


clipper*joe
CNS MVP Champion
Posts: 19715
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 148

...because Jerry West was brought here to consult about coaches, eh? I guess he signs the checks too.


LAC_12
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3776
Location: NY/CA
votes: 28

SamMays wrote:
I will be fine with Doc coming back, provided Austin opts out and goes.

And I think West and company get it. If Austin opts in, I think he's traded.

If I am wrong and both Austin and Doc come back next year, I will give credit to West and the front office for knowing something we don't. That the nepotism many of us rail against, isn't the destructive force on the team many of us believe it to be.

This is an interesting comment. Not sure where I am with the "Jerry is God" movement, but this is the most competent front office we've ever had (that I am aware of.) And the owner is a smart and savvy entrepreneur and sports nut.


LAC_12
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3776
Location: NY/CA
votes: 28

I would be cool with dropping Doc and having SamIam in his place.

He cant get a half-court violation as a coach... we're safe. (too soon?)


jarca
CNS MVP X3
Posts: 11397

rp.gif
votes: 47

clipper*joe wrote:
...because Jerry West was brought here to consult about coaches, eh? I guess he signs the checks too.

So u telling me he has zero say when it comes to coaches?


laboy
Clipper Starter
Posts: 842
votes: 6


Repped High Quality Post

Lets trade Doc for a first round pic...

He destroyed this team, and his player substitutions are very suspect..

He played his son 30+ minutes and other players 5 minutes or less.

He is constantly getting out coached.

We missed the playoffs because of him.

There were some games where something was working and he changed the line up..

I figure he cost us 5 or 6 games this year!

We should have won 50 games this year.

He knew that Beverly and Gallo were injury prone..

And he did nothing...get them extra care..limit their minutes from the beginning.

Harell should have been the starting power forward with Harris at small forward, and Gallo should have come off the bench. Bobo should have been playing 15 minutes a game..

He was playing more when he was with his old team and was 3rd string center?*&%$#@

Little rivers is not a point guard! Period!

He and his 12 million dollar contract need to be traded if he opts in!

Doc made so many stupid trades, and maxed out the payroll and gave away all of our pics!

And some of you guys want him back next year??????


jarca
CNS MVP X3
Posts: 11397

rp.gif
votes: 47

laboy wrote:
Lets trade Doc for a first round pic...

He destroyed this team, and his player substitutions are very suspect..

He played his son 30+ minutes and other players 5 minutes or less.

He is constantly getting out coached.

We missed the playoffs because of him.

There were some games where something was working and he changed the line up..

I figure he cost us 5 or 6 games this year!

We should have won 50 games this year.

He knew that Beverly and Gallo were injury prone..

And he did nothing...get them extra care..limit their minutes from the beginning.

Harell should have been the starting power forward with Harris at small forward, and Gallo should have come off the bench. Bobo should have been playing 15 minutes a game..

He was playing more when he was with his old team and was 3rd string center?*&%$#@

Little rivers is not a point guard! Period!

He and his 12 million dollar contract need to be traded if he opts in!

Doc made so many stupid trades, and maxed out the payroll and gave away all of our pics!

And some of you guys want him back next year??????

I agree with this 100%. Mr Miyagi was able to heal Daniel’s broken leg in the tournament but Rivers couldn’t do the same for Galo and Beverly. How did he become a Doctor to begin with? What a medical hack!


clipper*joe
CNS MVP Champion
Posts: 19715
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 148

laboy wrote:
Lets trade Doc for a first round pic...

He destroyed this team, and his player substitutions are very suspect..

He played his son 30+ minutes and other players 5 minutes or less.

He is constantly getting out coached.

We missed the playoffs because of him.

There were some games where something was working and he changed the line up..

I figure he cost us 5 or 6 games this year!

We should have won 50 games this year.

He knew that Beverly and Gallo were injury prone..

And he did nothing...get them extra care..limit their minutes from the beginning.

Harell should have been the starting power forward with Harris at small forward, and Gallo should have come off the bench. Bobo should have been playing 15 minutes a game..

He was playing more when he was with his old team and was 3rd string center?*&%$#@

Little rivers is not a point guard! Period!

He and his 12 million dollar contract need to be traded if he opts in!

Doc made so many stupid trades, and maxed out the payroll and gave away all of our pics!

And some of you guys want him back next year??????


SamMays
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 5473
votes: 89

LAC_12 wrote:
This is an interesting comment. Not sure where I am with the "Jerry is God" movement, but this is the most competent front office we've ever had (that I am aware of.) And the owner is a smart and savvy entrepreneur and sports nut.

Talked to a buddy of mine who is a well-known sports writer. His inside view was that the Doc/Austin combination is not actually cancerous within the organization as many of us seem to think it is. Austin is liked and supported by his teammates.

Interesting.


Jerediscool
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2257
votes: 33

jarca wrote:
I agree with this 100%. Mr Miyagi was able to heal Daniel’s broken leg in the tournament but Rivers couldn’t do the same for Galo and Beverly. How did he become a Doctor to begin with? What a medical hack!

No one is surprised that the two of you guys agree with each other. Add in toohip and you have the full collection.


cobra
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1357
votes: 6

jarca wrote:
I agree with this 100%. Mr Miyagi was able to heal Daniel’s broken leg in the tournament but Rivers couldn’t do the same for Galo and Beverly. How did he become a Doctor to begin with? What a medical hack!

The answer is he is veterinary doctor 😝😝😝😝


Options Quick Reply: RE: Conversation on Doc Rivers
register
You are an anonymous user- or .
Quote the last message
Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)
Notify me when a reply is posted
Don't Check Spelling
   
 
Go To the Top of the ThreadGo Home
Post new topic   Reply to topic
register
You are an anonymous user- Register now or Log in Now!


Follow our Clippers Rumors RSS Feed, the LA Clippers News RSS feed, and the Clippers Forum RSS feed to get the newest updated Clippers News and Trade Rumors plus Clippers Game update in your RSS/XML reader!