Blake Griffin Takes Shot at the Clippers.

Clippers News Surge Forum/Message Board » Clippers News & General Discussions
Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Search This Topic:
 
Clippersfan86
CNS MVP Champion
 Avatar
Age: 32
Posts: 17222
votes: 96
  

https://theundefeated.com/features/blak ... t-pistons/

Paraphrased a bit he basically says he finally knows what it's like playing for a real franchise lol. What's up with all the salty ex players lately?


pedroskinny
Clipper Starter
Posts: 443

br.gif
votes: 0

When I first saw this, earlier today, I was pissed. This man is my favorite NBA player and the reason why I am a Clippers fan. Why would he say such things?

But after cooling my head, I have to say, I can't blame him. Of course, I say this assuming that everything that was reported about that offseason meeting is true.

I don't think he really means it.. he's just upset at the front office, that's it.

I wish him the best in Detroit, although It's hard seeing them getting anywhere in the near future.


cobra
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1413
votes: 7

This is the first time he got traded so I understand. But he’ll get traded again once they can’t move to next level and he’ll get use to it.


ClipperPostman
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 5441
votes: 44

cobra wrote:
This is the first time he got traded so I understand. But he’ll get traded again once they can’t move to next level and he’ll get use to it.

I don’t think anyone is going to take on Blakes contract if he keeps playing at the level he is now.


Agent0
CNS MVP X3
Posts: 11364
votes: 95

It's definitely a rough thing to say, but we do have to see it from his perspective too. He's still mad, and when you consider what 6 months before he was traded suggested, which was that he would be here for a long time, then I can understand why he's mad. Like he said, if he knew the plan wasn't truly to keep him then he would have gone a different direction, but now its basically like he signed a 4.5 year deal with Detroit, and I bet if Detroit had the cap space last summer, he wouldn't even have considered them.

It's a business, but doesn't mean it doesn't hurt, especially for a guy who had been on one team in one place his whole career and was also promised to be there for much longer.


Icecoldclipper
CNS MVP X3
Posts: 11751
votes: 28

Don’t blame him at all for being salty.


Mistwell3
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 217
Location: Los Angeles
votes: 6

You know what Blake's ex feels like when Blake left her less than a week before their wedding for a Kardashian (that she found out about on TMZ)?

Just like Blake is feeling right now.

Karma.


jarca
CNS MVP X3
Posts: 11536

rp.gif
votes: 48

He still loves the clippers because he’s still helping us get a higher lottery pick!


toohipcliptoslip
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 7418
votes: 52

Agent0 wrote:
It's definitely a rough thing to say, but we do have to see it from his perspective too. He's still mad, and when you consider what 6 months before he was traded suggested, which was that he would be here for a long time, then I can understand why he's mad. Like he said, if he knew the plan wasn't truly to keep him then he would have gone a different direction, but now its basically like he signed a 4.5 year deal with Detroit, and I bet if Detroit had the cap space last summer, he wouldn't even have considered them.

It's a business, but doesn't mean it doesn't hurt, especially for a guy who had been on one team in one place his whole career and was also promised to be there for much longer.

Ralph and Bowen said something interesting. BG snubbed the whole team when he was in the hall including Bowen and RALPH. The guys didn't have anything to do with the trade (or did they). Both Ralph and Bowen commented on Blake's immaturity. Bowen said it several times. He said that a mature person would not have snubbed the team AND RALPH. They now can speak their minds. Ralph was never anything but supportive. Why did he get the cold shoulder? There is NO EXCUSE for that. You guys allow too many excuses for bad behavior. How do I know that you are an ass hold? Because you act like one. How do I know that you are a nice guy? ---


toohipcliptoslip
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 7418
votes: 52

PS. Forget like fandom etc.

You give a guy everything he wants including a great salary. You tell him he will be here forever, then without warning you trade him. Why would we do that? Forget "I like they guy" and think like an owner. What happened? It doesn't make sense.


Dirtydunks
Clipper Starter
Posts: 418
votes: 6

toohipcliptoslip wrote:
Ralph and Bowen said something interesting. BG snubbed the whole team when he was in the hall including Bowen and RALPH. The guys didn't have anything to do with the trade (or did they). Both Ralph and Bowen commented on Blake's immaturity. Bowen said it several times. He said that a mature person would not have snubbed the team AND RALPH. They now can speak their minds. Ralph was never anything but supportive. Why did he get the cold shoulder? There is NO EXCUSE for that. You guys allow too many excuses for bad behavior. How do I know that you are an ass hold? Because you act like one. How do I know that you are a nice guy? ---
There should be a law against “snubbing”. Throw him in jail so he’ll never give the cold shoulder to Ralph again!


toohipcliptoslip
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 7418
votes: 52

Please read my post and forget your fandom.

It was Bruce and Ralph who both said that Blake is immature and if you read between the lines - worse, and they said it many times, it was not me, and they know what's really going on. Why did they even bring it up? This kind of comment is reserved for the likes of Boogie. My point was, what did he do to cause them to say it? I don't know but it was not good IN THEIR OPINION not mine. I'm sure Ralph has never done anything bad to BG. Would a GENTLEMAN have snubbed Ralph? No. Would a GENTLEMAN have snubbed his team? No unless there was something else going on It's called GOOD MANNERS which seem to be lacking today. It wasn't a crime but it was the act of a cad and a bounder. My parents would have ripped me a new one. Why did he get traded? It wasn't for being nice and productive.

It makes absolutely no sense to give a guy lots of money and praise then unceremoniously trade him immediately. Something happened and something dramatic and catastrophic. Did he play hide the salami with Ballmer's married daughter in law? What did he do?

Why is it OK with you for a guy to be rude? Do you not understand that crassness reflects poorly on your character and on you as a person? Is being thought of as having good character important to you or would you not mind being a boor? I find rudeness unacceptable and the act of an as* no matter who does it and with exceptions no matter what the reason, basketball star or bum, there is no difference and no free pass. You are what you do. You are an a***** if you act like one. This is all so obvious that it doesn't warrant discussion.


Griffinforpresident
Clipper Starter
Posts: 494
votes: 6

Even after 10 years down the road, will the organization still retire his jersey?


Dirtydunks
Clipper Starter
Posts: 418
votes: 6

toohipcliptoslip wrote:
Please read my post and forget your fandom.

It was Bruce and Ralph who both said that Blake is immature and if you read between the lines - worse, and they said it many times, it was not me, and they know what's really going on. Why did they even bring it up? This kind of comment is reserved for the likes of Boogie. My point was, what did he do to cause them to say it? I don't know but it was not good IN THEIR OPINION not mine. I'm sure Ralph has never done anything bad to BG. Would a GENTLEMAN have snubbed Ralph? No. Would a GENTLEMAN have snubbed his team? No unless there was something else going on It's called GOOD MANNERS

Why is it OK with you for a guy to be rude? Do you not understand that crassness reflects poorly on your character and on you as a person? Is being thought of as having good character important to you or would you not mind being a boor? I find rudeness unacceptable and the act of an as* no matter who does it and with exceptions no matter what the reason, basketball star or bum, there is no difference and no free pass. You are what you do. You are an a***** if you act like one. This is all so obvious that it doesn't warrant discussion.

Yes he was a bit rude. Life goes on.


SamMays
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 5791
votes: 90

Blake is a great player, but not great enough to be worth the max deal he got. Any time you overpay a player, you have created an albatross that will drag your franchise down. We were lucky to move him for what we got. And now Detroit has a great player who is not great enough to lift them above mediocrity.


proverbs
Clipper Rookie
Posts: 62
votes: 7


Repped High Quality Post

I didn't watch the pregame. What did Ralph and Bruce say exactly? Is there a Youtube clip I can watch it? As far as the article saying that Blake took a "shot", I really didn't see it. "Coming here made me realize what a franchise looks like.” I don't think it was a big deal? I thought there was some juicy gossip or direct shots at specific people.

And we all obviously don't know what went on behind the scenes, but i felt pretty bad for Blake when I heard the news. It's the way that the front office handled the whole thing. They really went over the top by constantly saying that he was a "Clipper for life", and saying that "Blake is the face of our franchise until he retires". Then they went even further by having a presentation where they retired his jersey. Was that really necessary!?

Again, I don't know what happened behind the scenes, so I can't pass judgement either way. I do, however, trust Ralph, so I'm very curious to hear exactly what he said.

For the record, I was on team CP3 and wanted Blake traded at the end of last season.


toohipcliptoslip
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 7418
votes: 52

I don't feel sorry for him. He did something AWFUL to warrant the trade. Whether justified or not we don't know. I doubt it but it takes two to tango. for you youngsters that a dance where people touch.

Forget it's BG. You're a company owner and you promote a guy to senior VP. You give him a huge raise and everything he asks for. You think that he will make you a LOT of money and draw more good executives to improve the quality of your company which will make you more money. He will also generate more revenue for you because he's a media star and just his presence will promote your company. You put his name on the door. A week later, you fire him. Who screwed up. Forget fandom and think like Ballmer.

BG passed the whole team and completely ignored them. Ralph was not angry, he sounded hurt. They both said a couple of times that he was "showing his immaturity." It sounds to me like they were saying he's always been immature and that's a problem. I think they said that other players don't act like that. It's hard to pin it down because there was a lot of wink wink nod nod, read between the lines like they couldn't say what they wanted to, but maybe I'm over reading.


cobra
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1413
votes: 7

proverbs wrote:
I didn't watch the pregame. What did Ralph and Bruce say exactly? Is there a Youtube clip I can watch it? As far as the article saying that Blake took a "shot", I really didn't see it. "Coming here made me realize what a franchise looks like.” I don't think it was a big deal? I thought there was some juicy gossip or direct shots at specific people.

It was in the middle of the game when Jamal was in the court and Ralph and Bruce were talking about Jamal that he is a nice guy. And I heard Raplh said he is different from the other guy in Detroit and so on and so forth.


LAC_12
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3929
Location: NY/CA
votes: 30

proverbs wrote:
And we all obviously don't know what went on behind the scenes, but i felt pretty bad for Blake when I heard the news. It's the way that the front office handled the whole thing. They really went over the top by constantly saying that he was a "Clipper for life", and saying that "Blake is the face of our franchise until he retires". Then they went even further by having a presentation where they retired his jersey. Was that really necessary!?

Again, I don't know what happened behind the scenes, so I can't pass judgement either way. I do, however, trust Ralph, so I'm very curious to hear exactly what he said.

For the record, I was on team CP3 and wanted Blake traded at the end of last season.

I will say REPPED because this is almost exactly where I stand. I trust Ralph's word more than most because he is a gentleman. I did not hear the comments either, but as SamMays pointed out... he got paid more than he was worth. He wanted the money more than the security... as simple as that. He got his money, and now he wants to chirp? His anti-social, not-able to communicate, introvert ass can mumble all he wants in Detroit.

Clippers made a pitch, as they were expected to. Agent worked to get the most lucrative deal, as he was expected to. BG could've picked a no-trade clause for less money or less years, he opted to money grab. We opted to trade. SIMPLE AS THAT.

And I REP more for the idea that we should've traded his ass WAY before we traded CP3... But everything happens for a reason.


LAC_12
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3929
Location: NY/CA
votes: 30

toohipcliptoslip wrote:
I don't feel sorry for him. He did something AWFUL to warrant the trade. Whether justified or not we don't know. I doubt it but it takes two to tango. for you youngsters that a dance where people touch.

Forget it's BG. You're a company owner and you promote a guy to senior VP. You give him a huge raise and everything he asks for. You think that he will make you a LOT of money and draw more good executives to improve the quality of your company which will make you more money. He will also generate more revenue for you because he's a media star and just his presence will promote your company. You put his name on the door. A week later, you fire him. Who screwed up. Forget fandom and think like Ballmer.

BG passed the whole team and completely ignored them. Ralph was not angry, he sounded hurt. They both said a couple of times that he was "showing his immaturity." It sounds to me like they were saying he's always been immature and that's a problem. I think they said that other players don't act like that. It's hard to pin it down because there was a lot of wink wink nod nod, read between the lines like they couldn't say what they wanted to, but maybe I'm over reading.

As much as I love your hypothetical comparison... It doesn't matter. He may have done something REALLY bad behind the scenes... Or as all the reports have come out and said... he was toxic to team chemistry. We offered him a lot of money because Ballmer thought he was a cash cow (like you said!) I believe Jerry West came in and told him that BG is not what we think he is worth, and it took a while for us to deal him - I believed we were dealing him even before the rumors of Minnesota came out. I was right. I didn't know how hard we were shopping him, but I knew I couldn't be the only one that saw the sucker for what he was.

He got traded because he was not worth his contract, and he wasn't going to be a piece of a team that accomplished anything special. That's it. If you get paid like a superstar and cannot deliver, then your a*s will probably get traded.

You could be right, he may have also done something super bad that caused such a drastic measure... but I believe we have been shopping him for a while (even before those Minny rumors.)

I could care less about him anymore. Good riddance. Let him chirp all he wants, it's time for us to focus on us and try to get back on top in the West!


LA_Clipper818
Clipper Starter
Posts: 299
votes: 1

I appreciate BG for everything he did for the team, especially making the Clippers name a household name and not a joke. However he isn’t a franchise changing player and the Both sides needed to move on. It was strange, surreal, and kind of shocking because he was the best Clippers had seen, but not one of the best in the league. Love the direction clippers are headed and going to be happy when Doc is gone. Lol


LAC_12
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3929
Location: NY/CA
votes: 30

LA_Clipper818 wrote:
I appreciate BG for everything he did for the team, especially making the Clippers name a household name and not a joke. However he isn’t a franchise changing player and the Both sides needed to move on. It was strange, surreal, and kind of shocking because he was the best Clippers had seen, but not one of the best in the league. Love the direction clippers are headed and going to be happy when Doc is gone. Lol

I can agree with most of that, minus the bolded part. The most talented Clipper that I have seen was CP3. I can thank Blake for netting CP3, but he is also one of the reasons CP3 left. So... that scratches out.

Love to see how our future pans out, sure... but I have said that a few times before as a fan. This time we have Jerry, so let's see how he handles the group.

For once we landed a competent owner and competent executive staff... Let's see what that yields.


Dirtydunks
Clipper Starter
Posts: 418
votes: 6

Blake was a true superstar before the last injury and analytics started messing with him. He was the greatest Clipper of them all when he was dunking over everyone and had a dominating inside presence. As soon as he became a jump shooter everything changed. He’s still a triple double threat but he’s soft. The old Blake was a franchise player. The new Blake is a nice piece as a secondary star. He always said the right things and for the most part was an excellent role model but he did have an incident or two which scarred that reputation. Nothing severe but that fight was a big deal to some...mainly because he broke his hand.


LAC_12
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3929
Location: NY/CA
votes: 30

Dirtydunks wrote:
Blake was a true superstar before the last injury and analytics started messing with him. He was the greatest Clipper of them all when he was dunking over everyone and had a dominating inside presence. As soon as he became a jump shooter everything changed. He’s still a triple double threat but he’s soft. The old Blake was a franchise player. The new Blake is a nice piece as a secondary star. He always said the right things and for the most part was an excellent role model but he did have an incident or two which scarred that reputation. Nothing severe but that fight was a big deal to some...mainly because he broke his hand.

Old Blake vs New Blake? Or potential Blake vs reality Blake (at any point in his career.)

CP3 was the biggest name superstar we have ever had. The most talented, the most decorated, the most skilled, the biggest name... whatever you want to call it. If we are going to award points for who has been here longer, than DJ wins over Blake. Heck, even EB is in the conversation.

Dominating inside presence? Barely. I blinked and he was no longer near the rim. The man doesn't even have 10 career triple double games... Does he?


PagingDrDrain
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 158
votes: 4

Don't live in the past. Blake is just being childish again, but now the DET has to deal with him. Good Riddance! Maybe it will even help motivate the Clippers.. besides that, who cares. Blake talking is the dog that will keeps barking and nobody on the block likes them.

This team still has some drama queens, but it's no surprise that all the biggest drama queens keep talking about the clippers when the leave. Blake talking is as important to me as if Glenn Davis (Recent Drug Dealer "BIG BABY" AKA "Mad cuz a black man got money") talking about them... or Paul Pierce (BUM/ESPN Host) talking about them.... JJ Reddick (Podcast Host/Racist to Asia white guy). Did a miss another critic I don't care about? Probably. He is just mad like the rest of them. AND who doesn't greet Ralph Lawler when he wishes you a Happy Birthday? For heavens sake, the man is saint!

Go Clippers. We're free now.


Dirtydunks
Clipper Starter
Posts: 418
votes: 6


Repped High Quality Post

LAC_12 wrote:
Old Blake vs New Blake? Or potential Blake vs reality Blake (at any point in his career.)

CP3 was the biggest name superstar we have ever had. The most talented, the most decorated, the most skilled, the biggest name... whatever you want to call it. If we are going to award points for who has been here longer, than DJ wins over Blake. Heck, even EB is in the conversation.

Dominating inside presence? Barely. I blinked and he was no longer near the rim. The man doesn't even have 10 career triple double games... Does he?

Blake had some outstanding years with us, so did CP but at the end of the day they were both disappointing when it counted most. I was at the 7th game against Spurs when CP had his greatest Clipper moment and the whole team played great that game. I was happy for Chris but in the end he also the greatest monumental choke moment in the history of the franchise .Neither one really delivered when it counted most for us.


toohipcliptoslip
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 7418
votes: 52

Give me Elton Brand any day. As far as CP being great, Sam's 8 sec screw up was from stupidity. MDsr's screw up with Raja Bell was stupidity. CP simply couldn't handle the pressure and choked. Our HOF "point God" give me a break. When we had "the season" on the court we were better than with CP/BG.


LAC_12
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3929
Location: NY/CA
votes: 30
I don't disagree with anything you said... but if you're going to quote me reply to the quote. I don't disagree that both players failed - or more accurately the teams they were leading failed. That doesn't change the fact that CP3 was the bigger name, the more marquee player... and in my opinion had more to do with the degree of success our teams achieved. Thus, he was the "de facto" leader of the team... even if Blake was the "de jure" leader of the team. That is how great of a leader CP was, that even he ALWAYS went on record saying Blake is THE guy. If Blake's body of work in composition with CP3's body of work did not merit being recognized by the media/audience/outside world as being THE leader - who's fault is that? And allowing his feelings to get hurt and cause poor tensions within the team... that is the reason he was not the leader, and was the reason why his booty was traded. As DrDrain said... good riddance. But I can only say that about one of our "stars". I am trying not to live in the past, and I am happy with our team (whether I like it or not, this is the team I have chosen to support for as long as I can remember...) heck my new favorite player came to us as a result of the CP3 trade. THE ONLY thing that kills me is the potential for the team if we traded Blake FIRST. I really would've loved to see CP and DJ... and Harris. LA definitely would've been a bigger destination for free agents this summer. My issue is that our big 3 had many flaws, and we decided not to remove the tumor first. I can see how most of that....


jarca
CNS MVP X3
Posts: 11536

rp.gif
votes: 48

Blake spent 9 years here.mi would like to know which year was he a superstar or outstanding. I could point to one playoff series against the Spurs where he actually played like a superstar and that was against Aron Byanes, Diaw, and Splitter as Duncan was guarding DJ


clipper*joe
CNS MVP Champion
 Avatar
Posts: 19907
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 150
PagingDrDrain wrote:
Don't live in the past. Blake is just being childish again, but now the DET has to deal with him. Good Riddance! Maybe it will even help motivate the Clippers.. besides that, who cares. Blake talking is the dog that will keeps barking and nobody on the block likes them. This team still has some drama queens, but it's no surprise that all the biggest drama queens keep talking about the clippers when the leave. Blake talking is as important to me as if Glenn Davis (Recent Drug Dealer "BIG BABY" AKA "Mad cuz a black man got money")....


toohipcliptoslip
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 7418
votes: 52

jarca wrote:
Blake spent 9 years here.mi would like to know which year was he a superstar or outstanding. I could point to one playoff series against the Spurs where he actually played like a superstar and that was against Aron Byanes, Diaw, and Splitter as Duncan was guarding DJ

He was unanimous (?) ROY but much of it was based on dunks and "potential". You guys have heard me rant about the value of good character andthe fact that poor character in inexcusable. All along I've ranted about his poor character and him being a spoiled, entitled brat who is emotionally about ten. He routinely backed down against guys his own size and punches restaurant patrons and employees. "I'm saving myself for the PO's" was his reason for poor play.When he had his turf toe, Kobe or Malone would have had them put a rigid sole in his shoe and played IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, pain be damned.I would. See his "comedy routine" when he paid people to laugh.

I really think that his performance was because he didn't care and he was traded because of attitude more than lack of talent. I believe that this was why he was traded. He thought he was untouchable and acted an ass. Ralph commented on how much better we are with the Piston's guys and how DET sucks since he's been there. He did something not only to piss off the team and owner, he even pissed of the announcer.


LAC_12
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3929
Location: NY/CA
votes: 30
clipper*joe wrote:
Yeah, you missed the biggest prima donna on the team who actually thought to make a Lebron 2.0 documentary that failed. You forget how he dissed the Clippers with Jay Z sipping bubbly? Yeah, they all talk...big whoop.
With sports documentaries taking off so much this era, I don't see the big deal about it. Matt Barnes also did a similar one after his career (that I actually enjoyed.) But it is a new genre of multimedia... I don't fault him. Is that any better or worse than BG's attempt at comedy? Or being a regular TMZ item....


clipper*joe
CNS MVP Champion
 Avatar
Posts: 19907
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 150

LAC_12 wrote:

That is a realist, that is a hungry competitor, that is a planner... that is a real leader. He saw the climate in the NBA, he assesed his situation with the Clippers.

You conveniently left off this part:

“A lot of people see the wins and losses, but it’s the culture of our team,”

He might be a hungry competitor but he is no leader. This team bent over backwards to get him what he wanted. From threatening to leave in order to get Doc, to placating him by getting a lot of players he personally chose. No, he realized he can't lead a team to a chip, so he chose the team that had the best chance to beat the Dubs, but not as the leader, but as as a side-kick. A real leader doesn't leave to hop a ride to a chip, a leader can right the ship, he doesn't bail on it. And you surely don't go out on TV and make fun of your old team...Because that is what he did.

Remember, Cp3 decided to leave, and BG stayed.

I don't blame Cp3 for leaving but lets not pretend this guy is a leader. He turned in that card the day he sipped of that bubbly withj Jay-z and started talking crap. about his old team. He basically admitted he was tired of doing everything. And if that is the case, then he now knows his limitations. Good for him but no one sees him as the leader of the Rockets. That special label goes to Harden.


Dirtydunks
Clipper Starter
Posts: 418
votes: 6

jarca wrote:
Blake spent 9 years here.mi would like to know which year was he a superstar or outstanding. I could point to one playoff series against the Spurs where he actually played like a superstar and that was against Aron Byanes, Diaw, and Splitter as Duncan was guarding DJ
unanimous ROY. 4 time all nba. Over 49%!shooting from field every year until he and Doc and all of the so called analytical experts thought he should become a jump shooter. You must have been asleep or something.


jarca
CNS MVP X3
Posts: 11536

rp.gif
votes: 48

Dirtydunks wrote:
unanimous ROY. 4 time all nba. Over 49%!shooting from field every year until he and Doc and all of the so called analytical experts thought he should become a jump shooter. You must have been asleep or something.

I guess falling in the all NBA second and third team qualifies superstar status to some. So at best he showed up 50% of the time he was here


clippers88
Clipper D-League Pickup
Posts: 29
votes: 2


Repped High Quality Post

LAC_12 wrote:
People just hate him because he was not the end all, be all answer. He has many faults. But I stand by my statement... he was the best NBA talent that has ever donned a Clipper's uniform.

This cannot be disputed. He's 32 and still a better player than Griffin. If he wins a ring this year he will solidify himself as a top 5 PG of all time and enter the HOF.

But anyway, enough about Griffin or Paul smh. Who cares what Blake says as he becomes irrelevant in Detroit? Who cares what any of them say honestly? I know for one thing that I'm glad that I don't have to see so much whining and complaining these days. Clippers have a promising future.


Dirtydunks
Clipper Starter
Posts: 418
votes: 6

jarca wrote:
I guess falling in the all NBA second and third team qualifies superstar status to some. So at best he showed up 50% of the time he was here
yes he was 2nd team all NBA three times and unanimous ROY. So as you can see he did have outstanding years. You were the one who couldn’t remember one outstanding year. Just keeping the facts straight.


toohipcliptoslip
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 7418
votes: 52

Too Hip 3:16 (for those of you who remember Stone Cold)

Bottom line. Everybody touted him as the new Karl Malone and "when he gets his jumper he would be unstoppable" He did and he wasn't. The two were supposed to be Malone/Stockton. CP ain't Stockton by a mile.


LAC_12
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3929
Location: NY/CA
votes: 30
How many banners do you see hanging in Staples that have Clippers on them? How many superstars have played on the Clippers to warrant a statue? Heck even a jersey retirement? We do not have a CULTURE of winning. That is not making fun of a team or talking crap, that is being real. He did not come to this team to be a leader, he was meant to come here as a complementary piece to Griffin. Hence the "de facto/de jure" comment I made. CP is smart on and off the floor, he knows he cannot compete as the sole star of the team. In a team of giants, there has got to be multiple "sidekicks", hate it all you want but a real leader knows the NEEDS of the team. Call it knowing your own limitations... sure, I agree. And you are wrong, even as a complementary piece in Houston he is still a leader... just not THE leader. His role in Houston is what he wanted in LA, he expected Griffin to raise his level of game and be the leader. He said multiple times upon arrival, this is still Griffin's team. AND WE NOW LEARNED that is what Mr. Griffin wanted. He just wasn't good enough. You can't want to be the leader, and not perform and be the leader. So it was out of necessity that CP assumed the role of THE leader, since Griffin couldn't get it done. CP left and BG stayed because our inexperience in the front office. If we had Jerry sooner, or Ballmer had more experience, or our basketball operations/executive management been better we would've dropped Blake way sooner. Did CP demand a lot? Yes. Is he perfect? No. But if we had a more experienced management staff, it may have helped mitigate....


LAC_12
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3929
Location: NY/CA
votes: 30

clippers88 wrote:
This cannot be disputed. He's 32 and still a better player than Griffin. If he wins a ring this year he will solidify himself as a top 5 PG of all time and enter the HOF.

But anyway, enough about Griffin or Paul smh. Who cares what Blake says as he becomes irrelevant in Detroit? Who cares what any of them say honestly? I know for one thing that I'm glad that I don't have to see so much whining and complaining these days. Clippers have a promising future.

Aside from the fact that I don't think anyone touches GSW for the chip (unfortunately), I agree with everything else you said. REPPED.


LAC_12
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3929
Location: NY/CA
votes: 30

DirtyDunkks no one said he wasn't good... And I am actually very thankful for the years and statistics he earned for us. He was a good player for us... But as Toohip points out he was no Karl Malone for us. Or as Joe points out he was no Harden-level player for us. He was not the anchor for us. CP was... and that is not why CP came here. CP knew the role he had to embrace and BG's level of play did not allow for that.

In fact he is much closer to a Stockton than BG will ever be to a Malone.


clipper*joe
CNS MVP Champion
 Avatar
Posts: 19907
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 150
You seriously think that is what he meant? Don't make more out of a simple two sentence statement. He said what he meant. "People look at the good record/wins but it's the culture of the team". In other words, he's saying even though we're a good team, this team wasn't serious about competing or beating the Warriors. Gee, could it be that his tighty whities are still in a bunch because Doc didn't pull the trigger on Melo? Could it be that once someone put a stop to his demands, he wanted out? You fail to see that since CP3 came here, all he's done was try to build this team to his liking and he used his "leadership" to get a lot (i.e. Doc, Caron Butler, Barnes, Collison, DJ, and VDN fired). So one can say that a lot of the culture was created by CP3. This team treated Cp3 like a god while BG stayed out of all of it. BG never made any demands. Cp3 did not come here to play second fiddle. His actions say otherwise. During CP3 first season, there were already rumors about CP3 complaining about no one listening to him. He said maybe Billups should be leading instead of him. Cp3 was the first player to make mention that the players weren't listening to him. If he came here to play second fiddle, why was Cp3 complaining so soon? That is why things never worked out. CP3 was controlling the team, while having his hand in influencing who came here, and who was going to be shipped out. He used his influence to hold this team hostage until we signed Doc as our coach...Which also cost us a 1st round pick. For a guy who came here to play second fiddle,sure....


LAC_12
CNS MVP X1
Posts: 3929
Location: NY/CA
votes: 30
I am not going to say anything that counters any of your personal beliefs... some of which I agree with. You keep avoiding my points, and repeating a few points about CP. He was not perfect, I am not claiming he was. But he balled a whole lot harder than BG. Aren't you one of the biggest fans of trading Austin... it would seem you should've been thrilled at letting him go to pick up Melo... that's besides the point. What I am trying to say: We lost because our two best players, collectively, were not good enough. Our best player, was meant to be BG and he did not measure up. Look up the definition of "de facto and de jure" and you will understand what I mean about the leadership on the team. CP3 was meant to be a complementary leader... his style would not have been different... he still would bark and demand and try to control... But if BG had a pair he would bark back either with body of work or with actual words (he struggled with both.) And if he had a semblance of confident and competent management, they would have the backbone to construct a better team. It boils down to that. BG wasn't good enough to make CP3 the robin (of Batman and Robin.) So Robin stepped up big time. I fault Batman for not rising to the occasion. Actually, BG was more of a Bruce Wayne. And I cannot ever say any win or loss is solely the reason of one player - you love to go there quite a lot. Our team made due with what it had. If BG had been a Batman, or someone worthy to build and construct around (a Karl Malone, or a superstar level/Harden like talent) you would've seen a WAY DIFFERENT....


toohipcliptoslip
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 7418
votes: 52

You all are confusing three things, personality, talent and psychological motivation..They are TOTALLY DIFFERENT SKILL SETS. I have been oft castrigated for saying this. A good leader motivates his men for many reasons.

First is his personality. He's an azzole. He is overbearing demanding and abusive. I doubt players like to play with some one with that personality. That was my point when I said he acted like a thug. He's the mean junk yard dog in the yard. This is why I called him a thug. Would you follow a bully? No but If directed properly, this can be a plus. Kobe was an azzole but not a thug. As far as his boat, could it be that players want to be with him only when paid? I don't know.

Does he have the physical tools to lead? YES. As far as stats he is the Point God but that is only a part of leadership.

Does he have the tools to win? No He has the tools to choke. Do they trust him to bail them out? I doubt it. The Rockets would be as good with any number of players. He has hind t*t behind Harden which is his place, being Robin.

Is he a Team Player? No. You don't buck the chain of command and disrespect your boss. It is crass. Why should players respect he system when their "Leader" doesn't. A leader publicly respects the coach.

Is he realistic? No. There is no way we could have gotten a team to beat the Dubs. Melo would have done nothing. We did not have the money. Instead of looking at the truth he demands the impossible.

How can you motivate players and be a leader with those skills?


ClipperPostman
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 5441
votes: 44

Lol@how much revisionist history in this thread.

And cp3 is better than Stockton.


toohipcliptoslip
CNS MVP X2
Posts: 7418
votes: 52


Repped High Quality Post

Is CP better than Stockton as far as being a player? That was wasn't what I was talking about. I was talking about LEADERSHIP SKILLS not who was a better player.

What was revisionist? DJ almost left because of his abuse. Ralph talked about him "barking". While they thought that DJ was being a baby, a huge % of people on this board felt that CP was abusive. Why didn't anybody visit him on his boat? Often azzoles think they're actually nice guys. It is the majority consensus on this board that he does choke. HOU can win without CP. Hardin is a quite capable PG. Could HOU win with CP and no Hardin? NO. In a crunch would you rather have CP or Lou Williams? See an above post about CP not listening to Doc.

A reality check for CP. Except for the old Celtics with 5 HOF starters, GSW is by far MAN FOR MAN the best ever. With our weak squad last year, even if we traded BG for Lebron and forgot the salary cap we couldn't beat them. There has to be a combination of money luck and available players to fill in the gaps. None existed. Find Ricky Davis CP.

What is revisionist? I've said this for a long time and have been roundly criticized. I have been forced to go to Leadership Conferences for work. Everything they say not to do to be a good leader, he does. The face we see is not his real face. But he is a charitable guy.


Options Quick Reply: RE: Blake Griffin Takes Shot at the Clippers.
register
You are an anonymous user- or .
Quote the last message
Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)
Notify me when a reply is posted
Don't Check Spelling
   
 
Go To the Top of the ThreadGo Home
Post new topic   Reply to topic
register
You are an anonymous user- Register now or Log in Now!


Follow our Clippers Rumors RSS Feed, the LA Clippers News RSS feed, and the Clippers Forum RSS feed to get the newest updated Clippers News and Trade Rumors plus Clippers Game update in your RSS/XML reader!